How to import 2D/3D CAD drawing into Blender and how to convert wireframes to faces?

(Peter Garton) #1

I’m trying to import CAD drawings into Blender. I have read and looked at some tutorials about this, but it’s not working! I can use DraftSight to transform a .dwg file to .svg, but to transform a .dwg to .dxf does not work, despite that I try all kinds .dxf versions!

I have also tested some other software like IrfanView, but to be able to handle .dwg files you have to buy an extra plugin and I have also looked at Teigha which is now called ODA File Converter and it’s not free anymore.

What other options are there to handle cad drawings in Blender? Are there any other better file formats? I really need to solve this because I have a client that expect me to be able to handle CAD drawings in Blender.

Is it only possible to import 2D CAD files or is it also possible to import 3D CAD files and perhaps also view them as solid object and not just view them as wireframes?

When a CAD drawing is imported into Blender, what is the best working method to transform the wireframes into faces? Should I just a use the wireframes in the background and draw new faces with the snap tool or can I convert the wireframes to faces in some other way?

Preciate some tips and guidance about this subject. Thanks!

(RickyBlender) #2

if you can save CAD as OBJ or DXF then
there are script import to do that !

and there is paid DXF which can import 3D DXF

happy bl

(chrisd) #3

3D CAD files as DXF or DWG often contain solids (ACIS objects) instead of meshes or 3D faces.

Its possible to convert a solid to a mesh but the original CAD app is usually required for that. I’m not sure DraftSight can handle that.

I did come across a reasonably priced app ($66) that can convert common 2D and 3D CAD formats
https://cadsofttools.com/products/abviewer/

(ajm) #4

Don’t know how well this works or attempted to use it but you could try here

(Vince Bly) #5

You can import 3D CAD drawings into Blender, but you need the 3D CAD program to do it. Parametric modelers like SolidWorks, PTC Creo (aka Pro Engineer), and Inventor can all export their parametric models as .STL files, which Blender can import. The imported .STL object is a mesh with faces.

Relative to 2D drawings, it is possible that Blender’s DXF import did work, although it appears that there is nothing there. The DXF is imported as a curve or curves. However, if unselected, the curve(s) are dark green and nearly invisible with the standard theme. If you press [A] (Select All), you should see it as bright green. The other option is to export a .WMF from AutoCAD or other 2D drawing program. You can import that into Inkscape, save as an .SVG, then import that into Blender. You may need to tweak the colors of the drawing lines and text versus the background.

Good luck.

(stephen_leger) #6

FreeCad might import your file, and then export as .obj
McNeel’s Rhino ($) also is a strong alternative for import / export.

Current official blender’s dxf importer dosen’t handle POLYFACES entity so you only are able to import lines.
Blender’s 2.49 old dxf importer does handle 3d meshes.
One common issue with 2d/3d architectural CAD is georeference, where your objects are far away from scene center. So open in a CAD aware soft and center the data near scene center before any import attempt.

Rhino usually have a trial version where you can save/export your work up to 30 times. If you do a lot of CAD data conversion I would really recommend to get a Rhino lincense its super usefull. A cheaper alternative could be Moi. FreeCad is also very useful as someone mentioned already.

(Remade) #8

import into Sketchup 7(old free version),export as .obj with free scripts.For 2d cad,use free cad software(Doublecad,draftsight) delete unnecessary,make one layer,save as dxf-version autocad 12,import with blender importer.