How to import unsupported FBX model with animation

There is a free model on sketchfab. It is a model of running man. Original model is in fbx format. I need to have it in dae format (including animation).
So, model is taken from here

There are fbx file and two textures in the archive.

1. FBX -> blender.

Simple import to blender.
When I try to import original fbx to blender (blender 2.78a, x86_64 linux gentoo) I get following message:

Couldn't open file '...fbx' (Unsupported FBX version (7500), binary format is incompatible)

So, simple import is failing.

2. FBX -> 3ds Max 2017 -> fbx -> blender

I try to import original fbx into 3ds Max 2017 (windows 64). All import settings are default ones. I get following message:

Warning: Skin Modifiers Import (0) The Initial position (or Initial Pose) of the skinned object is missing. The plug-in will create a pose automatically but running the 'Assume Skin Pose' command may create unexpected results.

The result I get is a strange a little bit. Now man has very short arms. Running animation is playing right.

IMG: 02_1a.jpg

IMG: 02_1b.jpg

Without any modifications I try to export it to fbx format. I get following message:

The FBX file format cannot represent the transformation of some nodes in the scene due to the limitation of FBX SDK. To avoid this, adjust Bone binding matrices of the problematic Skins. The following Bones will have incorrect Bone binding matrices under the associated Skins:
      -Head
     -Jaw
-RightForeArm

After that I try to import derived fbx into blender. Import process is correct relatively. Short hands are remain short, but now the eyes are literally “drop out” and increase their size to dome. Running animation is playing correct - the man running inside the dome, waving his shorts hands.

IMG: 02_2.jpg

3. FBX -> 3ds Max 2017 -> dae -> blender

Import original fbx to 3ds Max 2017 again. Same size of the arms, correct animation. Nothing changes. I try to export to dae. I get following message:

Warning: Reading or writing file. (2) While reading or writing a file the following notifications have been raised.
     -Warning: 'Null' type not supported by COLLADA. Only the transform data of node: 'Geo_grp' will be saved.
     -Warning: 'Null' type not supported by COLLADA. Only the transform data of node: 'Reference' will be saved.
  Warning: Gimbal lock exists (72) The FBX file format cannot represent the transformation of some nodes in the scene due to the limitation of FBX SDK.To avoid this, adjust Bone binding matrices of the problematic Skins.  The following Bones will have incorrect Bone binding matrices under the associated Skins:
   -Head
-TongueBack

I try to import this dae file to blender. I get following message:

Sax FWL Error: Texture with sid "file1-image" not found in effect with id "lambert1-fx".

I read somewhere that in this case I have to remove <diffuse> part in dae file for textures. As long as there are tow textures here, I remove two <fidduse> parts.

After that again trying to import file into blender. Again I get dome-size eyes, but hands in T-pose are normal size!

IMG: 03_2a.jpg

But after press “play” button for animation I get ugly monster.

IMG: 03_2b.jpg

At the same time I get following messages in console:

ERROR: [Geo_grp] Animation curve has no keys. Sax FWL Error: Animation curve "Geo_grp" not valid!
 ERROR: [Unity_Body_Mesh] Animation curve has no keys. Sax FWL Error: Animation curve "Unity_Body_Mesh" not valid! 

4. FBX -> Maya 2016 -> dae -> blender

I try to import original fbx to Maya 2016 (windows 64). I get following message:

Warning: Skin Definition (1) The imported scene has no initial binding position (Bind Pose) for the skin. The plug-in will compute one automatically. However, running the 'Go to Bind Pose' command may create unexpected results.

Model seems fine, animation is playing well. I try to export to dae. I get following messages:

Warning: Reading or writing file (1) While reading or writing a file the following notifications have been raised.
     Warning: 'Null' type not supported by COLLADA. Only the transform data of node: 'Geo_grp' will be saved.
  Warning: Animation curve tangent type changed to User(309) The plug-in has changed some animation curves tangents type to User to ensure interoperability.  This mode change will not affect the animation curves' values     Hips_translateX     
...    LeftToes_rotateZ

I try to import this dae file to blender. Again I have same warnings as in item 3:

Sax FWL Error: Texture with sid "file1-image" not found in effect with id "lambert3-fx".

I delete two <diffuse> sections for textures again and try to reimport. Model seems fine in T-pose. But the jaw slighttly misplaced and we lost the eyes.

IMG: 04_2a.jpg

IMG: 04_2b.jpg

I press “play”, the man start running. Animation playing right. So, my questions are:

1. I get following message while trying to import fbx to blender: Unsupported FBX version (7500), binary format is incompatible. Is this version is too old? I should use the older blender version to import it? Or is it too new? In this case when blender can import this version of fbx?

2. Which is the correct way to convert such fbx models to import them to blender?

3. Which settings for Maya/3ds Max should I use to get the best results for import/export?

4. It seems that Maya is the best tool for fbx -> dae conversion of the original model. But how I can fix bugs with the jaw and the eyes?