How to improve skill of hard difficult topology modeling?

Hi guys. Sorry for my english. I have been using a blender for about two years. But I still have great difficulties with making hard models.
For example, I was trying to model a medallion from The Witcher 3. Its loots a bit like the real one. But in reality it’s horrible. I do not even know how to do it corectly. If I apply the subdiv modifier this turns into something terrible. I want my models to look as cool as a real witcher medallion.
I can do a phone, keyboard, chair, pillow and other simple things. But how to make a witcher medallion or complex(hard) objects do not have the faintest idea. How to improve the skill to learn how to do this? Can there be lessons or theory for this? Share your experience. Thank you.

Attachments

I’m currently going through the same thing with topology, and honestly, your best bet is tonnes of videos and lots of practice. Signing up with a premium learning site is working best for me now, YouTube just wasn’t cutting it when it came to topology. From my experience, it just seems to be more in depth and higher quality when its paid, which is expected i guess. The biggest issue when it comes to learning topology is there’s no one tutorial to teach it, every object is different, there for the topology and the way you complete it will be different. Unless its a human head, there’s seems to be many of those out there.

You can use the bevel and edge loops where the subsurface is causing too much rounded edges, Blender Guru just put out a video on modeling an anvil which covers issues with edges and cuts that are not needed and how to remove them or add them where needed for a nice final looking result. From what you have modeled without the subsurf on looks pretty good, just looks like you might need to add to the topology of it some more to get the smooth yet hard look to it.

It’s just a suggestion but from looking at the witcher medallion references, I think you should subsurf and then play with proximity loops and creases to get the results you want. the proximity loops allow for rounder edges, while creased edges appear very sharp, just like in the reference images.