how to install the gimp animation package?

hello…i’m new to this whole building programs type of thing…and i was wondering how to build this animation package for the gimp…or do i have to build it at all?..do i just install it somehow? i’ve downloaded the gimp animation package from the gimp’s website, but i acctually downloaded the gimp itself as a portable application from portableapps.com, so i didn’t have to go through all the building. however, the gimps’ animation package (as far as i know) can only be downloaded from the gimp’s website, which means more than likely i will have to build it. so my question is…how am i supposed to build the gimp animation package?

According to this: ftp://ftp.gimp.org/pub/gimp/plug-ins/v2.0/gap/testing/

GAP is ‘a collection of Plug-Ins to extend the GIMP with capabilities to edit and create animations as sequences of single frames.’

I can’t download the tar file right now, but they are probably pre-compiled codes that you can just copy to the portablegimp plugin directory.

Are you using windows?? go here download the gimp the gtk and gap
install the gtk then gimp then gap works fore me.
http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html
these are self installers for windows

It is possible to use GAP with the Portable App version. For starters, you may have downloaded GAP for Linux. Did you download GAP from here?

The problem you are going to run into is that the windows GAP installer is a self extracting .exe that wants to install the plugins into a regular, not portable, Gimp install.

How I did it was to install them into a regular Gimp install and then just copy them over from there into the plugins directory of the PortableGimp.

I dunno if there is a way to extract the files from an .exe installer or not…I would assume there is.

If using any Debian linux derivative (Ubuntu, Knoppix, Mepis, Kanotix, etc), open command prompt and simply type

sudo apt-get install gimp-gap

You are asked for admin password if your user isnt admin, then everything is installed automatically (as always, Debian POWA!)

If using any Debian linux derivative (Ubuntu, Knoppix, Mepis, Kanotix, etc), open command prompt and simply type

sudo apt-get install gimp-gap

You are asked for admin password if your user isnt admin, then everything is installed automatically (as always, Debian POWA!)

As far as I know, the debian apt version is 2.2.0…which isn’t the latest. Latest is 2.2.1, which has some additional features. You pretty much gotta source compile it (I had to do some dep chasing on my Mepis Install).

However, the guy in this thread is using the windows based portable version designed to fit on a usb thumb drive. Pretty cool really. I use it at work, since I don’t have admin rights on my work comp.

ClayOgre - Nice! USBing is nice…

There are many ways to get the newest binary or source of any proggy on your debian.

For instance, you can practice some apt sorcery! :wink: Apt is powerful and you can download&install any developement version in the apt proggy repositories. You need to have testing and/or unstable in your apt-sources file. Then to dl&conf&install the newest testing version try:
sudo apt-get install gimp-gap -t testing

You could also try the ‘unstable’ version (but be prepared for some crashes).

Or you could download the source and make it yourself. Or use alien for a rpm. Or use dpkg to install a .deb. But hey since the guy is on XP this doesnt apply.

I just got 2.2.0 but then again I am using a debian which is all ‘stable’, no testing code.