How to integrate "curvy door" into "curvy wall" seamlessly?

Hi! This is probably a simple question =)
My Blender is 2.63.
I have attached the file with simple example.
Lets imagine that one needs to create some kind of curvy door that should look a lot like it’s surroundings. It can be a door of a car or something. The door can be opened by turning, sliding etc.

In the attached example there are two cylinders. Left one is solid, and has solid color when rendered. Right one is a cylinder too, but with a “door”. The door has the same shape but looks definitely different from the “wall” when rendered.

So, how can I fix this, so doors and walls will look almost indistinguishable from each other? =)

Attachments

CurvyWallAndDoor.zip (68.2 KB)

Hi,

Try giving them a subsurf modifier. You’ll need to set to 1.0 their edges creases in order to get them well fit.

Thank you, I tried to do as you said - looks like it doesn’t help.
I think the difference of shading between the “wall” and the “door” is due to difference of their normals.
And AFAIK Blender doesn’t allow to edit normals manually somehow…

For a planar surface there’s no problem, i have cut a rectangle and split it from another rectangle, and in the rendering there’s no normals problem.

But as soon as the surface is curved like in those cylinders, the normals problem is appearing very bad if you split a few faces from them, can’t find any solution.
I hope someone somewhere may have a workaround to the impossibility to tweak the normals in Blender manually to avoid this problem, as i can imagine lots of cases in which it is annoying.

It’s not because of normals I think, it is the way smooth shading works. I looked into your normals and they were the way it should. When I turned shading from smooth to flat they become same in the render. I tried to join them, this didn’t solve problem but when I removed doubles problem fixed but as I understand you want to seperate the door from main mesh. I also tried to render the scene in cycles, result was same; problem is smooth shading.

Looks like you’re right, even tried in 2.49b to see if the various change of opengl code between it and 2.6 made a difference, but it’s the same, as long as you’re using smooth shading on a curved surface instead of flat, this problem is there.