How to isolate a section cut or 3D portion of the model and save it?

In SketchUp, there is a tool where you can cut a “section” of your model. You can turn this on and off and save it. You can also cut multiple sections from different angles at the same time, like a “section box”, instead of a “section plane”.

In Blender, I have a few options:

1. A camera with orthogonal view. Good, but only allows me to work looking at my object in 2D. But at least I can save my “view”.

2. Alt-b. Good, but I cannot save it, nor can I apply more than one at at time. Also, I can only apply Alt-b in orthogonal view, so it can be hard to access parts of my model that are inside my object (e.g. a building).

3. Select a bunch of objects I am interested in, and then Shift-H to hide others, or Numpad / to isolate the objects. Very good, but I cannot save the “selection set” to quickly hide and isolate it again. Also, I then have to combine this with other sectioning techniques in (1) and (2), each with their pros and cons.

4. Organise my scene into collections that I can turn on and off. This works, but assumes that my collections aren’t structured carefully for another purpose. In my scenario, my collections are organised for other reasons, and so it is troublesome to modify it “on the fly”.

So, to overcome these limitations, can I:

1. Apply Alt-b in more than one direction, and perhaps “save” my Alt-b so that I can toggle it on and off quickly?

2. When I do Shift-H or Numpad /, can I somehow save the objects I choose to toggle so I can go back and forth between isolated view and full model easily, without having to set up collections?

2019-11-10-105647_298x225_scrot

you could place things on different collections in 2.8
then you can control visibility in the outliner !

if you have one object for all things
there is an addon for cross section
let me know if you need the name have to find it

happy bl

Thanks for your suggestion @RickyBlender - I did mention Collections, but currently I am using Collections for a different type of organisation. Also, unfortunately, there are many objects, not just one.