How to link object data - and then make the linked objects independent of each other?

Hi,
I’m trying to do this:

Copy Shape Keys from Object X to Object Y, using Ctrl+L - and then make X and Y independent of each other so I can animate them independently.

(In other words: The purpose is to copy the primary animation from X to Y, but then separately modify Y’s animation slightly in order to make it more interesting.)

What is the right way to achieve that? (I’ve tried using U, but that doesn’t make Object Y entirely independent from X; i.e. Y does not have its own ‘Value’-field.)

I assume that I have to somehow ‘apply’ the link between X and Y?

EDIT: UGH, so sorry; my problem was due to an incredibly stupid mistake: I couldn’t see Y’s independent Value-field because I had selected its Basis key (which isn’t supposed to have a Value-field)! :frowning:

Ok so Ctrl - L links object data… if you want to keep the object data the same but independent animation press u -> object animation, but then you will also need to press u again -> object data… mainly because shape keys work on a mesh level not an object level…

Thank you for your reply, doublebishop!

I already tried that, but Y’s animation is still linked to X (Y still doesn’t have its own Value field).

I’ve attached a simple .blend with two cubes, X and Y.

EDIT: UGH, so sorry; my problem was due to an incredibly stupid mistake: I couldn’t see Y’s independent Value-field because I had selected its Basis key (which isn’t supposed to have a Value-field)! http://blenderartists.org/forum/images/smilies/sago/frown.gif

Attachments

shapekeysExp.blend (444 KB)