how to make a Holographic Laser ribbon?

I am open to ideas on how to produce such an effect as seen on this material, thanks for any info, I hope it is a challenge for someone. http://youtu.be/TPX-D6D32zY

should be pretty straightforward - voronoi texture with an anisotropic shader and colour ramp.

I may have a crack at this tomorrow.

Ok - I took a look at creating this material this morning. The above principle kinda works - although it needs a lot more work to look realistic. This is what I have so far (note: the coloured pattern isn’t fixed to the surface - as you rotate the camera around - the pattern shifts like it does in your link)

I’m not sure how easy it is going to actually be to actually recreate a realistic holographic material that reacts exactly as it would in the real world. The colours you see from a hologram depend not only on the viewing angle - but also on the angle of the light sources relative to the viewer. From a few threads I have seen bouncing around - modifying a material based on the direction or intensity of incoming light isn’t (currently??) possible in cycles.

Admirable attempt for certain, I look forward to seeing and learning more from what you are able to muster together. It seemed like an odd material to try to create, and being someone who likes a challenge in areas I am at least somewhat familiar with, I thought this may appeal to people who have experience with materials and who also like a challenge. You’ve managed much more than I would have been able and your node setup is something to learn from. More, more!

Indeed, real holography is impossible in cycles, as are gratings. However, this cannot be a fundamental problem of cycles, as already for a mirror, information about the angle of both the incident and outgoing rays are required. However, apparently, it is not possible to hack a node or osl setup that does this. One needs to actually code a cycles shader for it.

Ok - I have refined the idea a bit more and got something that looks a bit better:

I’m just rendering out an animation to show the effect a little better.

Here is the video

that is a hard one , try Mahaten for actual distance and set coloring to position on that vor texture see if it works any better .

No idea what that is…can you elaborate?

Hi! Sorry to revive this but I am trying to recreate this material and having a bit of trouble! Was hoping you could maybe send an updated node tree for 2023! I have copied this but the nodes seem to have changed & I can’t quite seem to get the crackle shape on the voronoi.

Thanks!!

Sorry - this is way out of date and created when Cycles was quite new.

There are probably much better ways to achieve it now.

I’ll have a look if I get a chance - but you may be better off searching for newer threads on iridescence, holographic materials etc.

Thanks for the response, I am close to achieving the result. It seems to be the shape the Voronoi throws out that gets changed to circles somewhere when I recreate it today.

Your help would be greatly appreciated! I will try searching more recent threads but so far only this & one other from a similar time have caught my eye looking for this specific look.

Have you tried connecting colour rather than distance from the voronoi node?

1 Like

As said, use the color output, or plug the Voronoi distance into a constant color ramp node

I found the old file and loaded it into a current version of blender - seems to work fine.

@Moony
is it possible to upload latest file for BL 3.4

that color ramp is a pain in the neck LOL

thanks
happy bl

I went through the pain - why shouldn’t you :rofl:

2 Likes

Thanks this was the issue!

Much appreciated

Thanks for looking out the file, super cool to see you still have it haha, I had one last question for you. If possible could you give me some advice on how to mix an image texture in with this?

I am trying to recreate these posters I made

I got something close to it using a different node setup the other day but it doesn’t interact with lighting cause of the image texture. Any help is appreciated!

My attempt & nodes used below.