How to make a liqiud spiral splash?

Hi everyone,
I need to create a liqiud spiral splash, just like below

Screenshot_2

I trying to make it by liquid (mantaflow) simulation stretched by curve,
but the result was not satisfactory
Do you have any idea how to make this like on picture ?
maybe someone of you have tut for this or somthing like that ?

Welcome :tada: …

maybe you could tell a bit more about what you already know about fluid simulation or what you exactly tried ?? … maybe something more than just:

So someone can point you easier to the right direction ? Because any of the liquish splash simulation tutorials out there will do to learn more about the complex simulation topic?

Two random ones…

Maybe then also refine the search with: along curve:

…to try your newly learnt abilities on a more 2D-like surface bend into 3D space ?? Or use it best to your liking…

I cant agree with you, none of the above tutorials address the method of simulation I am talking about in the first post. But I admit you are right that I didnt describe the methods I tried before.

I’m not looking for a tutorial describing the basics of liquid simulation,
I know them well enough to handle using curves to determine the direction of water flow. Unfortunately, with this method I can’t get the result I wanted in the first post:

example of my trying below:

As you can see the mesh of the water, in my case it looks completely different from the example above, (I used here a curve to give direction of water flow) it is heavily distorted and looks like gloopy.

and ofcourse im trying to do that in gemoetry nodes, but result was worst.

currently I have no idea how to get such an effect:

Screenshot_2

Something to note. The example is smooth on the inside and ridged on the outside. That limits the How of its creation. I do not think that is a water sim.
Have you tried animating the source? Slow at the bottom and speeding up. Add the top drop manually.
Think 3D print and turn off gravity. As the source moves and forms the splash use noise or shapekeys to add the ridges/edge randomness to the emitter. Use proportional editing mode to stretch out the ends afterwards.
Or using a mask to add displacement & color on a curve you place manually - rather than using a sim… Plug a noise texture into a shader node, Add texture coordinate node & mapping node. Set x Scale to about 80 in the mapping node to give a striped pattern. Use that to drive color, displacement & Alpha.
Or fill a box with water and animate and tip the box along a curve.
Or try 5 guide curves - not 1. I have done braided water with 3 guides. Remember the guide can be 1 guide with 5 curves, or 5 guides with one curve each…
Or try a warp modifier.
Or a screw modifier with a displacement modifier.

There are many many ways to try…
Good luck.

3 Likes

Something to consider:

Could use GN to create a similar effect - can tweak paint shader to make it transparent and more liquid.

Good luck.

1 Like

I tried this method, the result obtained by this method is too uniform and needs some corrections with carving, there is potential in it, but it needs too much work to apply it more widely in commercial projects.

this is really interesting !!! :smiley: and I will check it out as soon as I can
I am currently working on getting this effect in GM
and of course I will share the results here in this topic

Thanks for advice !

thanks!
with some adjustments this may be the correct method to get this effect ! :smiley:

1 Like

Ahhh now this is also some valuable hint for others… me included… (and now we know that you know :wink: ).

I thought about extrudeing the curve… but… naaahh…

Maybe @zeroskilz’s proposal does work.

:sweat_smile: ohh… i forgot to really post this… was stuck as draft… a seems to it does

Have you seen this post?

Already posted above :point_up:

1 Like

Whoops…

:upside_down_face:

1 Like

Yeah I think it’s quite a struggle to make such a simulation that works especially with current tools in blender.
Even if you manage to get close you’ll always want to fix some details and that can become painful.

Then method @zeroskilz pointed out looks a very promising start.
You can also pile up some modifiers to have something very controllable, since it’s a still image you can take advantage of all this .

This is the result I got after 30mn of toying with these modifiers :

splash.blend (152.3 KB)

This can be refined with sculpt or additional modeling …
Adding a bit of geometry node into that could be quite interesting too !

And if it’s for a commercial project I would buy one of those kits :
https://www.turbosquid.com/fr/Search/3D-Models/splash

Have fun !

3 Likes