how to make a "mesh" out of a lot of points?

I’m rendering fractals using a chaos algorithm which generates an awful lot of points (as many as you like ;-)) which belong to the set. I tried to put a cube at each point, but after 1000-2000 points Blender becomes very slow, and I don’t like the look anyway.

Is it possible to make a “solid” mesh out of all those points which are known to belong to the set? It’s important to mention that a fractal has, of course, a very difficult structure. Must be a very intelligent algorithm to do this whole thing.

It’s like generating a ball by calculating all points whose distance to the center is smaller than the radius.

I can’t tell you anything about python, but the answer to your question is to make all cubes part of the the same object. To do that by hand you select the two meshes and type Ctrl-J. The last selected will have all the formerly selected object assigned to it in a single mesh. That should give you some breathing room. The next real wall (I think) will be with RAM. Blender crashes if it runs out. hth.

[edit]another thought. Just add the cubes while in edit mode and the points will be included in the curently open object. That would be the way to go.

well since you’re adding cubes with verts and faces already it shouldn’t be too hard to just add verts and faces no?

Yes, it is possible. What you have is called a point cloud and you want to generate the outer surface with triangles. So you need to calculate the convex hull from all those points. See this program: http://www.qhull.org

Yah, there was a point cloud script here just the other day. Well the beginings of one. Maybe help you with a step up. Is point cloud what you were talking about?

A point cloud - yes, I think this is it. I’ll try it out and tell you if it works.

I’ve just figured out a bit how qhull works, but I don’t think it can generate a nice mesh out of this:
http://www.zonk.at/tetraeder.jpg

In the End, it should approximately look like this:
http://www.3d-meier.de/tut10/Bilder/Pyramide.gif
(if it’s exactly calculated, the pyramids are just points)

Why dont you try with piramids?

Ah, Sierpinski’s triangle! (although it’s now believed that it was not, in fact, Sierpinksi who initially discovered it) :smiley:

If you want to make something like that neato pyramid picture, you should consider using a recursive algorithm. All you need to do is to figure out the recursion and decide how accurate you want it to be. I made something like this in 2d with Delphi.

I would suggest something like this (2d version in Delphi):

procedure TTriangle.recPaint(c: TCanvas; xCoord, yCoord, height: extended);
//VARIABLES
var halfh, s2 : extended; xInt, yInt, hInt, s2Int : integer;
begin
s2 := height / sqrt(3);
s2Int := round(s2);
xInt := round(xCoord);
yInt := round(yCoord);
hInt := round(height);

//DRAW THE TRIANGLE HERE,
//c is TCanvas object that handles the painting.
c.MoveTo(xInt,yInt);
c.LineTo(xInt-s2Int,yInt-hInt);
c.LineTo(xInt+s2Int,yInt-hInt);
c.LineTo(xInt,yInt);

if ( height < LIMIT_GOES_HERE ) then exit;

halfh := height/2;

//RECURSION STEP
recPaint(c,xCoord-s2,yCoord,halfh); // LEFTMOST TRI
recPaint(c,xCoord+s2,yCoord,halfh); // RIGHTMOST TRI
recPaint(c,xCoord,yCoord-height,halfh); // UPPER TRI
end;

Perhaps this can be altered to work in Python?

BeBraw,
I think he’s got the necessary recursive algorithm. The problem is trying to actually draw something from the vertices generated by the algorithm.

D’oh :expressionless: