how to make a proper halo

Hi folks!
I was experimenting with halos a little and then I was wondering how to make a proper halo. A halo which doesn’t emit the light from the vertices but from the faces/the surface.

Let’s say we have a simple object with round sides and straight sides, something like shown in the attachment.

As you see, the vertices at the end of the object become closer and closer to each other because blender was trying to close the circle. If I would switch this object to a halo the left and the right side would be very bright but the middle wouldn’t emit any light because there are no vertices in the middle.

I guess the easiest way to make a proper halo for this object would be a switch in blender to make the light to be emited dependent of the faces and not the vertices. But it seams as such a switch doesn’t exists. So I had an other idea, which was makeing the whole object like a icoshere. I can do that easiely with the sphere on the left but not with straight sides.

What would you do in this situation?

Attachments

Well, you can loop cut (k–>loop cut) the middle lines as many times as you need to… but I would also like to know if there is a way to set halos to work for faces instead of vertices; it would prove very useful.

Thanks for your answer Crusader Alpha. Indeed, this would also make the middle bright. But the halo still wouldn’t be perfect uniform in brightness

Yes I know, I am a perfectionist :-p

make the light to be emited dependent of the faces and not the vertices.

You’d get less since there are less faces than verts (but more Edges than verts or faces). Anyhow, a Halo is just a point so it can’t be the shape of a face (if it could you’d have to call it something else).

Try turning on Flares (in Halo settings) and crank up the Flares and Boost values then play with the Seed value and see if you can live with that…

%<

actually a halo is not a point. Blender uses points at the moment to create a halo, true. If there is a big benefit in thouse spots to create a halo, the points could still be set on the surface of the object in equal distance instead of using vertices.

Using vertices directly is in my opinion a logical bug of blender. Try to imaging that you want to create a typical halo, like one of thouse:

It would be brighter in the middle and darker at the outside because in the middle the vertices are closer to each other.

An other example would be if you have a man as a 3d object and want to make him shine all over. you could just duplicate him and switch the halo to “on”. but that would result in very bright eyes, ears and a shiny nose :slight_smile: but a dark skin on the arm and the leg because tthere are less details and less vertices used.

You would make those halos in the pic by Parenting a Single-Vert-Object to the head with a Halo material.

%<