How to make an impression of an object?

I want to create an even landscape using the torsos in the picture. I have tried using the shrinkwrap modifier, cloth and smoothing but nothing quite gets the result i need.

Is there anyway to create a cover that goes over all the models and in more detail than the cloth modifier in the second image? (also why is the cloth going through my plane?)

Thanks guys

What about the remesh modifier? That will make it even and manifold but preserve detail

1 Like

Or just sculpt a new mesh to the shape you want. The problem is there are plenty of posibble shape solutions for this. You could even use bridge between edges in edit mode.

2 Likes

Depending on what result you are looking for, you might want to just place a grid over top of it and use surface snapping ( retopo ) to snap the grid down over the objects.

2 Likes

It’s true… there are a lot of ways to skin this particular cat

1 Like

My first thought was to place a orthographic camera facing down with a mist range that just fits the landscape, render the mist pass and pack that and use that as a displacement source for the actual landscape. May have to apply some Gaussian blur to smooth things our but will depend on resolution of the displaced mesh.

Good luck.

1 Like

Another great idea, although it might be easier to use a Linear Gradient to add color based on the height

1 Like

I’ve tried this and it has got me close but the surface snaps in a random direction, aligned with the viewport direction, and is there anything I can do to stop this?

Sounds interesting. Is there a tutorial or something you could recommend for this? I’m pretty new to blender

If you’re new to Blender, doing that with a mist pass is going to be difficult for you. Try this instead:

This will give you a perfect height map you can use for the ground
Note that a different reply in that thread:

May give you better results, it’s a difference of a Linear Gradient vs a Separate XYZ. I’d probably recommend the Separate XYZ, all things considered

1 Like

You need to be in top view. It always behaves according to the view you are in. Also, you can manually slide them around on the surfaces.

1 Like