How to make animated hair dynamics less "floaty"

I’m experimenting with hair dynamics and, after quite a bit of trial and error, have finally figured out some workable basic settings. The only thing is, the hair animation is kind of “floaty”:

I am trying to figure out the best way to make the hair “heavier” so it doesn’t float so slowly.

I tried turning down Hair Dynamics -> Volume -> Air Drag to 0, and that helped a little…but not enough.

I tried cranking up Field Weights -> Gravity to the maximum value (200), and that helped a little, but it seems like that’s not the best approach.

I went into the scene’s gravity and changed the Z value from -9.81 to -1000…and that looked pretty good. However, that’s absolutely going against keeping any sort of realism in Blender’s parameters, since the acceleration due to gravity is supposed to be 9.81 meters per second squared.

What parameter(s) should I change to make the hair heavier/move faster? My blend file is attached.

Floaty hair.blend (1.9 MB)

In the dynamics-structure settings of the particle system adjust stiffness and damping.

1 Like

Perfect! Thanks, @DNorman!