How to Make Finer Details?

I know this is kinda a dumb question, but I’m fairly noob and I’m making this

And I’m kinda hazy on how to make the finer details. Here’s a picture of my current model,

I figured I could sculpt it on, but I can’t sculpt very well, it looks messy. Would anyone be able to help me or at least point me to a helpful tutorial? I’m not very good at Blender, I’m a programmer by trade :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks.

You can unwrap the UV from the model, and paint the details in a image editor like photoshop or gimp, and using the painted map for displacement, if you won’t export the model, only rendering, you can subdivide the part you want details, so the map will look much better, otherwhise you make a copy of the model, apply the map, and bake it.
I do hope this helps a little: https://youtu.be/_dU3DONwSzU

2 Likes

If the camera won’t get any closer than this you might be able to get away with a bump map instead of actual displacement and a small amount of very very simple sculpting to raise up some areas.

1 Like

For the crystal, I would suggest procedural texturing, to create roughness and bump, and then combine with some type of glass material.

For the ornamental stuff, your best shot might be modelling it and then use subdiv on it, or maybe applying a UV unwrapped bump or displacement, that is geometrically correct, and you import it from the “outside”.

3 Likes

If you need clarification on any of the answers so far, just ask.

1 Like

Hmm, I’ll check it out. Thing is I’m even worse at drawing than I am at 3D modelling lol, but thank you, I’ll watch the video :slight_smile:

It’s for a 3D print, actually. So displacement is necessary, the final product will be solid white(sorry, I should’ve mentioned)

I’ll try it out, I wonder the shader will show up on a 3D print, though? I guess if I added some normal displacement?

1 Like

Sounds like the displacement will be right for your case, you can “draw” the contours in vectors, and extrude, this will give some relief, a small touch in sculpt, or pulling some vertices, would finish the job.

1 Like

Ah, Bezier Curves! I’ve worked with them before to make hair. My only question is, how do I get them to… uh, meld with the surface?

You convert the curve to mesh with CTRL+A ‘visual geometry to mesh’ , create the faces needed com commands face, or grid fill , and then you can add to the other mesh with boolean modifier, If you go this approach remember to make the curved object closed, as non-manifold geometry and booleans don’t like each other.
But, seems like booleans are not ideal for 3d printing, as showed here

Still i have a idea…

1 Like

Oh, Booleans aren’t ideal for 3D printing? I was about to use a boolean to make the hole for the ring to go through. How am I supposed to do that now? Haha.

Also, I made a fairly night looking symbol on the top part with curves, but I don’t think curves would work well for the “Wings” on the middle of the metal part. Do you have any ideas for that? The rest of the details literally just appear to be random blotches, so they should be easy haha.

It is not about the hole, maybe holes will be ok , but parts added in union wihtou enough physical suport. There is something you can try for the wings, if you can draw their contour with curves, bezier circle, subdivided and pulling points, after you enter in a ortographic view, put your ‘wing’ just above the targeted face, select the curve and the object, press tab for edit mode and use Knife Project (i don’t know what shortcut is used, i call the command by name). The contour will cut in the face, now you can use inset and extrude in that face, with the subdiv modififer you can turn a stair like profile in something gradual, softened too. the external edeges you don’t want softened, select the edges, ctrl+E → Edge Crease,enter value 1.

1 Like

It is not about the hole, maybe holes will be ok , but parts added in union without enough physical support. There is something you can try for the wings, if you can draw their contourn with curves, bezier circle, subdivided and pulling points, after you enter in a orthographic view, put your ‘wing’ just above the targeted face, select the curve and the object, press tab for edit mode and use Knife Project (i don’t know what shortcut is used, i call the command by name). The contour will cut in the face, now you can use inset and extrude in that face, with the subdiv modifier you can turn a stair like profile in something gradual, softened too. the external edges you don’t want softened, select the edges, ctrl+E → Edge Crease,enter value 1.

1 Like

It is possible too, in edit mode to use the knife (K) to cut polygons directly on the face in the likeness of the wing aspect, then select each vertex where you want curved shape and use the bevel , Ctrl+Shift+B , change the number of divisions with the middle mouse button, and size dragging the mouse, experiment the method in a simple plane first to get the idea.
This is knife project: https://youtu.be/Gja6Uiys9c0

1 Like

Oh, I gotcha. I never thought of using knife like that, I always used it to make sloppy loop cuts when Blender decided it didn’t want to allow me to make a loop cut there haha. It’s quite convenient, but I just wish I was better at 3D modelling lol. I’ll work at it, at least most the other details seem to be literally just random blobs lol. I encountered one issue though, besides just destroying half the object and then mirroring it(which really isn’t that much work, but…) how do I mirror these changes? They need to be on both front and back(4 wings total)

Edit: nvm, I just erased the whole mesh and mirrored it. But I do have a question about this, I finished the tri symbol, and I remeshed it and forgot I needed to put a crease in it. It has a massive amount of vertices now and I can’t just alt+click an edge.
Here’s a picture,
https://imgur.com/8b94032d-c165-405f-b1de-06d3342b0abf
Do you know how I could add a crease in it? Sorry for asking so many questions, I feel like my only option now is to redesign the whole symbol, which would be a pain haha.

Sure, i want to be better at modeling too, this is why i am training. In the early days of blender was difficult to find solutions, today there is some much info,it is overwhelming.

I buyed 3 courses for myself, but clearly i am eating more than i can chew.

1 Like

The crease, you just select the edges you want sharp in edit mode, press Ctrl+E, select edge crease and drag the mouse to the right, or type 1 for totally sharp.
I really do think to use the mirror you will need to slice the model in the middle, but, you can mirror in two axes in same time, so making one wing the mirror will give you four, much better than having four times the work in fact.
I will be helpful duplicate your actual model (Shift+D)and hide(H) one version for the case something goes bad.

If this is for 3D printing, are we talking FDM or are we talking Resin? It kinda does matter.

The first thing I would recommend would be to make sure that your basis shape is correct. Looking at what you have compared to your reference, the shape isn’t quite right, and the top detail (with the celtic knot) looks to be far too small. So that would be my first step. Really study the shape, and get that right first.

As for the details:

For the Gem, don’t worry about trying to add physical details. It’s pointless, as it’s just chips and scratches, right? Sand paper in the real world can easily add that kinda wear and tear.

For the engravings:

Once you have your basic shape finalised, You can then simply model the details, starting with a plane and using super basic techniques (E to extrude, or simply CTRL Clicking two parallel vertices). Snapping and shrinkwrap will help you a bunch here. You don’t even have to give the model any thickness. Simply add a solidify modifier, (and sub surf modifier if you want it to be smoother) and slowly add your details.

If that sounds super complicated, then I would recommend getting to grips with the basics first.

I hope I didn’t completely screw this up haha,

The issue is I remeshed it, there’s no easy way to grab the edges… I might need to just redo the whole thing…