How to make game for steam?

Ok, here is the revenue situation on Steam right now(after you become Steam Developer):
First they will pay you the next month only if you earn more than 100$ for the previous month. BUT …there is always a “BUT”:
Here is what you actually earn on Steam - lets say your official stats says 100$ in purchases. Steam gets 30%, so now you get 70$. But there are always chargebacks for about 8-10%, so you left with 60$. But there is VAT from European countries, it’s always about 5%, so you left with 55$. But there are always company/individual taxes/per month if you earn money, in my country about 120$/per month…so you left with -65$, that Steam won’t pay you because you don’t exceed the 100$ minimum of clear revenue.
So in order to balance your business on Steam you need to earn at least 300$/per month, and that is about 150$ clear revenue for you.
If your game costs 2$ it means 150 purchases for one month or 5 purchases per day.
And I can tell you from experience 5 purchases per day is a lot! That is why most indies fail on Steam. Because you have a lot of expenses and very small actual income.
For the last month my clear income was 1400$, so do your math and guess how much purchases I needed for that amount of money.(Thanks God, I have my day job :slight_smile: )

People call this marketing and advertising…that is the MOST important thing, if you want to start your own business with indie games.

^ all that is under the assumption that you have an actual game to sell lol

I can only think of three people that have put Blender games on Steam - so I’m still of the opinion that OP needs to make a game before he even starts worrying about this stuff.

That being said, it’s that information is very nice to know Haidme :slight_smile:

If the game isn’t of high quallity don’t bother selling it. Twenty games sold a day would be better, maybe 20 dollars per game, that’s 400 dollars a day. For thirty days, 12000 dollars. Half of it goes to steam, 6000 dollars a month. You could quit your day job. :slight_smile:

Now if you actually make a game of really high quality that thousands of people end up playing. 200 games sold per day, 20 dollars per game. 2000 dollars a day times 30, 60 000 dollars half of it goes to steam, 30 000 dollars. Sell a couple of best sellers and you can retire early and live comfortably on a house boat.

EDIT: The problem is that a high quality game often requires multiple people to be working on it, so you’ve got to share the profit and then it becomes a 9 to 5 job.

That being said, it’s that information is very nice to know Haidme :slight_smile:

Thanks, it’s the ugly truth.

If the game isn’t of high quallity don’t bother selling it.

Wrong! You don’t listen. The game quality is of no importance. I’m in this business for more than 10 years. Most indie games like “There’s Poop In My Soup”, made hundreds of thousands of $$ only by marketing and hype.

Now if you actually make a game of really high quality that thousands of people end up playing.

You are making a common “noob inde game dev” mistake, thinking that if you make a AAA like game, which will be very good and innovative, will sell well.
NO it won’t…the one thing that matters is how much you advertise your game, no matter how it looks and plays. That’s the real life market.
Just a note:
The Witcher 3 costs 50 million $ for development and 100 million $ for advertising.
Battlefield 1 cost 200 million $ for development and 200 million $ for advertising.

Forget about AAA games. The very definition of AAA it self means a game made for tens of millions of dollars(check the wiki)

Lol poop in my soup, marketing, yeah I have no idea how to do marketing, open 50 youtube accounts and upload gameplay videos of poop in my soup with laugh tracks? It helps if the game is of high quality, then it might market itself.

It helps if the game is of high quality, then it might market itself.

Haha…please, be my guest and try that :slight_smile:

Btw…guess if “No man’s sky” was a success or failure for Sony? :slight_smile:
Hint: Sony made so much money from it, they even can’t count them yet. :smiley:

Did you even tried to talk to a relatively famous youtuber…I did…he asked for 40k$ for a 4 minutes video :D…aaand that’s how marketing goes.
I hope, you don’t really think, that famous youtubers are “just” playing “good games”. :D:D

I hope, you don’t really think, that famous youtubers are “just” playing “good games”. :D:D

Depends on what youtuber or streamer, some play what they find funny to play. If the game is good people will play it no matter how much you pay them, because they find it fun to play. Most of the streamers on twitch play games they find funny to play. If they don’t play Krum on twitch or on youtube it’s probably not that good. :slight_smile: Better quality, more profit.

Show me a game on twitch, that haven’t already made several millions of $. :slight_smile: That’s called hype. When you pay huge amount of money to a several bigger twitch streamers/youtubers to play you game, after that every smaller twitch streamer/youtuber starts to play it. That’s the idea behind marketing. BUT…you need a lot of money for the wheel to start spinning.

No amount of marketing is going to convince people to play a genuinly bad game. There are many examples of games that were marketed but failed badly. There are also many examples of games with little marketing but which became very popular games. I have never made any indie game but if I would it would be a quality game, I would try to keep things as simple as possible, make things look pretty but not hyper realistic and try to market my game towards younger teens. Think Spyro the dragon or crash bandicoot, cute fluffy characters that talk with the player in funny voices.

Very simple props that can be reused throughout the level to create huge labyrinths that the player has to navigate through. I’m thinking specifically of something like this, but which taps into what’s currently popular, little girls for example love cartoon wolves and moody emo boys. Throw an emo wolf boy in there and a protagonist that is a hyper pink wolf and it might become popular. 10 dollars their parents might be willing to pay for the game if the child wants it badly. Got to be smart and be realistic of what it’s possible for a single person to make.

It helps if the game is of high quality, then it might market itself.

it should be but that’s naive in this world…hard truth…marketing is how clothes…you never know what’s below it but when it looks beautiful people buy it:D…at least most people.

he asked for 40k$ for a 4 minutes video

for game you hard make maybe half a year…this guy needs take some pills:D:D…but maybe cheaper than TV commercial…
It is true:D

10 dollars their parents might be willing to pay for the game if the child wants it badly

…but how about the game people know it exists…aha…marketing torture;)

Twitch has a database of a ton of games, not just the multi-million dollar sellers.

I’m not too sure about this approach to things - I’d imagine it’d be a ton easier to shop a game around to smaller streamers and YouTubers than going to the extremely popular and trying to buy a stream or LP. It’s just a theory I have, but for small / niche players, being on the fore-front of new content is important, since that’s where new subscribers can be, so they can be more hungry to play something new. For big streamers, staying up on extremely popular and well-established titles (like, say, PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds) can be more important, since that’s where the populace is.

From the sound of it, itch isn’t that far behind Steam in terms of your sales, and you can control how much itch takes (if any). If one was able to drive more traffic to their itch page, it’d be the more financially controllable of the two.

Is this correct? I thought Steam Direct is just a flat $100 fee per game, which is recoupable if you manage to make over $1000.

You’re right! I misread.

From the sound of it, itch isn’t that far behind Steam in terms of your sales, and you can control how much itch takes (if any). If one was able to drive more traffic to their itch page, it’d be the more financially controllable of the two.

Do you have numbers to show for it? I’m genuinely curious about this.

imho, the first step before you put a lot of time or even money in game - is to understand, how would you distribute a game, could your earn some money and so on.

Steam is known to take 30% of the profits from each sale. However, on itch you can set how much profit itch gets, all the way to 0. So, you have a bit more control over how many sales you need to turn to maintain sustainability. That control can mean much, much more if you already have a captive audience. If you’re launching “silently”, though, then yeah, impressions and discoverability is important.

1 = make amazing game (solar lune is already doing it) while showing progress
2 = ask for feedback in many places, this is advertising and market research,
3 = become friends with people in high places (you tubers etc) offer them help with their own stuff
In exchange for some publicity. (people with 20k or more followers)
4 = leverage income to get targeted ads, hit your demographic. (it may be hard to find who that is)

Where you sell it, is up to you.

I see people doing gameJolt while they grow, and kickstarting into advertising money.

One gold idea
Pair your game with really good music that matches theme, and make a really nice trailer.

Solarlune is a really good musician as it is, but I was thinking about purchasing rights to some good electro swing myself.

Asking for feedback is small tiny bit of advertising, but for sure not the whole thing. Market research clearly has to be done before one even thinks about creating the game. At least if the goal is to have a chance to create a commercially successful game.

I mean checking your assumptions, as well as improving the product via player feedback.

The idea that just making a quality game and people will pay is pretty much like winning the lottery. If it happens to get discovered and goes viral then you are set.

My experience:
But realistically I would put the work effort into these buckets:

1. make a playable demo just to see if you like making games (includes menus/scoring etc) ~5%
  2. Polish the game - add in all those little details that nobody will notice unless they are not there - subtle transitions/leaderboards/pause/ etc ~45%
  3. Marketing/Networking etc ~50%

I did the first two (shameless plug to links in my sig but games are free so should be ok). My goals was simply to make the highest quality game I could make. Blender/Gimp was used extensively.

I tried the marketing bit by emailing for reviews (which I receive the standards “for x$ we will review your game”). I posted in game forums and such, but really I didn’t market very hard, because I don’t really enjoy that work.

I ended up making (when they were not free) enough to cover my annual Apple dev fee for a few a years.

I still make games because it’s really fun to create cool stuff in blender, then add it into a game a play it. It’s a really fun set of problems to solve.

I think some of you are ignorant, steam distributes and markets your game. If the game’s trailer looks good, if people play it and recommends the game then it’ll get higher up on the steam list. More people will play it and if they like it they’ll do the same thing. Soon streamers will play the game and then you’ll have thousands of sold copies. Haidme you said earlier that on a good day your ketchup or krum game sells 5 copies.

Let’s be honest, if you scrolled through games on steam and you saw ketchup game or Krum and you watched the trailer you most likely wouldn’t throw 5 dollars on it when just some pages earlier you could play assasin’s creed and Dark souls, two games of the same genre as Krum. If you wouldn’t want to spend money on a similar game it’s probably not a very good game. Now the idea of running around as a barbarian and fight skeletons, it’s a cool idea but it has to be done right.

If you had made cutscenes in the trailer, with interesting camera movements and maybe hint at some actual storyline and if the graphics would have been more realistic and the animations not so crude I have no doubt that it would become a hit. You can’t blame the poor sales on marketing, a good game sells itself a bad game needs tons of marketing to sell itself. It’s like with that recent mummy movie, would anyone bother watching that shitty movie if we weren’t bombarded with ads, trailers and the poster everywhere for the movie.

No we wouldn’t unless we were into mummies, it’s just another holywood blockbuster shit movie, we’ve all seen special effects and screeching monsters before. Now if it was done right, an actual mummy movie set in egypt, scary, moody and with interesting cinematography and not guns shooting at stuff for no reasons every 5 min it would sell itself by word of mouth. That’s what happened with 2001: A space odyssey, at the beginning it was not very popular but then stoners told people about it and it became a phenomenon. Same with games, if your game had a great trailer, great graphics and hint at something more to the game than hacking away at skeletons more people would buy it. Instead of 5 sold copies a day you would have 300 sold copies a day.

Don’t blame it on bad marketing, make a good game and it’ll be profitable, only if you game is bad would you have to try to convince people to buy it. Go on sites and beg peopl to buy it, look at my game buy it please. Out of the 1000 people who heard you spam maybe 2 buy it, you move on to youtube and to other sites. It’s annoying, personally I hate advertising, most products made in the world are useless. A lot of try hards and few who actually manage to create something of quality. Stop spamming your farmville, feed a cow game or play as an orange that needs to create pumpkin juice or whatever. It’s an insult to the people that you intend to sell the game to, if you wouldn’t buy a similar game don’t expect people to buy it.

But maybe I just have high standards, only own two games myself. Medieval Total War, Civilization 5. Maybe most people aren’t that good at recognizing what makes a product great, what would make a game of any genre great. Anyway if you wanna make your own game I would follow these rules:

•You’re one person, keep it simple, locations that require few props.
•Make the gameplay addictive but very simple and refrain from making it “cool”, nobody needs magic combinations and levels.
•Some type of narrative is going to be needed, don’t have to be complex but a 2 min cutscene at the start of the game I think should be mandatory. Dialouge and interesting character design is also important.

In order of importance:

1. Story (Setting, characters, mood, camera movement, “the experience”)
  2. Graphics (The enviroments, the colors and character designs, refrain from world of warcraft/Blizzard look at all cost)
  3. Gameplay (Jump on enemies, push blocks around, run through a level and avoid obstacles while being chased by a big monster. It’s not that important what it is as long as it’s something that keeps the mind focused on problem solving.

I would have made such a game a long time ago if I knew how to code, I mean it’s very very easy. To downgrade your AAA models to some crash bandicoot character and then create some simple storyline and some animations for when the characters interact. Very simple props in simple envrioments, 10-20 different levels that the player has to navigate through. Perhaps a cutscene after each level and an ability for the player to backtrack. Gameplay could be anything really as long as it’s not too much work.

We just need those logic nodes that makes programming easy, then capable people will create fun games.:evilgrin: