How to make limited stretch on an IK chain?

Hello again! As promised here’s some pictures of the actual leg. The model will become a Space Marine Dreadnought (WH 40K universe) so the concept isn’t mine.

I hope these three pictures gives an understanding for the mechanical buildup of the leg. The four pistons on the outer ring of the foot are hydraulic pistons to control the foot angle and the middle will be a damper. I don’t think I need to animate the damper more than making it part of the IK system as I’ve talked about before (even though I said piston), but the foot angle needs some proper control. If the damper is considered critically damped I believe it should behave roughly like my piston in the IK chain in my video. Other body movement should help with the feeling of weight too.

I’m aware that the mechanical sanity of this construction isn’t really there, but it looks cool so I’ll try to stay as close as possible to the concept. I haven’t tried to implement my last try with the damper in the IK chain yet but I’ll get back to this thread when I have. The rest of the rigging feels quite straight forward.

I feel like I’m rambling right now so ask away if there’s any questions or comments! :beers: