How to Make Realistic Clouds (100% Procedural!)

Hey Everybody! In this video we will be going over how to create realistic clouds. These clouds will be 100% procedural and as a result, they can be easily customized to your own preference. That’s not even the best part. These clouds don’t use volumetrics which results in SUPER fast render times!

https://youtu.be/hJd5WS6e9Cg
I hope you guys enjoy this tutorial and learn something new. Thanks for watching!

2 Likes

Can someone tell me why this was flagged? Did I do something wrong?

Probably the cluster of necros to link this same tut. I didn’t flag ftr.

dupe :roll_eyes: Procedural Clouds - or should it really be posted in all relevant categories? - choose wisely :wink:

Oh ok thanks

ok thanks!

1 Like

Those look really good. Any chance you’d work on a good procedural ocean texture that simulates the ocean modifier without all the polygons and repeating problems?

Thanks! That would be a very interesting project and I would have to look into it. You’re just talking about creating a procedural bump texture right?

Yes. I had worked on it for awhile but couldn’t get any thing really good. I tried making a depth map from several of the ocean modifier waves to see what it should look like and so I wasn’t just pulling at straws. But I still never got anywhere close to a good bump map.

I think the best way to approach this would be to use the ocean modifier and then bake out a normal map from that to use on a simple plane.

The problem is that you only get a few waves and then you get a tiling problem. That’s why I was looking for a purely procedural way to do it that doesn’t suffer from tiling or massive polygon count.

I also had another idea, but it’s not procedural either. I was thinking you could use the ocean modifier to create a variety of wave brushes. Then you could custom paint your own displacement texture to the size of your scene so you don’t have to worry about tiling issues.

If anyone is interested, I have just put up a tutorial demonstrating how you can animate these procedural clouds. It is very simple and I hope you will enjoy and learn something new! :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve received many requests to demonstrate how you can take these procedural clouds and produce and HDR image in Blender. Here is the process I came up with. If you just want to learn how to render out the HDR for any generic scene, skip to 6:27. Everything before that is specific to preparing just this cloud scene.

https://youtu.be/rabRc4vCvEQ

I hope you enjoy and learn something new!