How to make realistic fog/mist/smoke??

I am quite new to blender, and I wanna know how to make realistic fog or mist. I have tried the mist in the world button but thats unrealistic. Can somebody help me please?

Perhaps toss a firecracker in your computer.

Btw. questions should be asked in Blender General.

Happy new year,
Sago

use particles instead of the mist option in the worldbuttons, much more effective.

Cog

There are lots of ways to achieve fog and mist, and one of the best ways I can think of uses compositing, as a two-dimensional operation such as you might do with the Sequence Editor tool in Blender. (Or in After Effects, FinalCut, and so-on.)

“Fog and mist” affect an otherwise-ordinary image in a few ways: - It overlays the image with a possibly-swirling whitish shroud. But that is basically a two dimensional effect, that has no perception of distance. (To the extent that it does, a so-called “Z-map” or “depth map” can be used to vary the amount of effect applied, perhaps varying brightness and/or color, thus giving the appropriate appearance of distance from the camera lens.) - The fog more-or-less obscures what it surrounds… and the key word is “more-or-less.” What we are seeing here, in graphics terms, is an alpha mask. “Alpha” refers to transparency, and it can also be used as a mask for compositing purposes, controlling the mix of two (#1=object, #2=fog) input channels. - The presence of fog in a beam of light causes the shape of the beam to become visible… and where the beam is more visible, things behind it become obscured further by the light. Yet once again this is an effect … controlled by an alpha channel … that can be prepared separately and then superimposed upon an image that, in its raw form, does not have it. The “cone of” light can be drawn off as a separate layer from the light’s other job of “providing illumination.”
It is very useful to think about computer-graphics projects in ways that emphasize the use of compositing – of dividing the total finished effect into layers of simpler effects that are finally blended together to produce the final image. When you first approach the subject, you might assume that the computer renderer could, or should, produce the finished product in one pass. But that’s very inefficient because, if the effect isn’t exactly what you wanted, you have to … start over. Think instead in layers. Don’t apologize for using PhotoShop or Gimp to post-produce a still. Give yourself the ability to “tweak” and to assemble the shot “in post,” because two-dimensional compositing steps can be done very fast, and if changes must be made only the necessary components must be re-done.

A cloud texture for mist in the world buttons

Say what? sounds too easy to be true… :stuck_out_tongue:

I couldn´t find that cloud texture. Where is it?

Just go to textures. Choose a cloud texture, on the left you can map it to world. In the world buttons select Blend and real. On the right go “to map to” and map it to “Horizon” and “Zenith up” or “Zenith down”. Experiment with these becasue the results are similar.

If you give the mist a height value (tweak it), you’ll get the same effect as a dense fog on the ground.

It is not volumetric at all, but it will look a lot more appealing than just objects fading in the distance. Just expirement with the values and textures.

Edit: I wanted to put an image here, but I’ll do that later… I thought I could post images through elysiun

Edit2:

http://img286.imageshack.us/img286/4585/columsinfog7rm.jpg