How to make ?

Dear all

as new to the game environment
my idea is to use the map format for a 3d photo realistic finish but not used in a game
I have asked CG Cookie to do a course on this but no firm yes or no yet

Things I need help with
how do you make the maps in blender for games
what is this cards you use for textures ?

as blender is an awesome piece of kit why O why can’t I find this on you tube or any other places

or can we all poke the CGcookie team "Wes/Jonathan " we see loads of models now show us a game map to put them in ?
if the demand is there some one might help this grow

thanks for any tips you can help me with

1. Could you please elaborate on what you mean by map format? do you just mean UV unwrapping something? or like creating a minimap type thing for the bge. Your question isnt very clear.

2. Lets not spam CGcookie team Wes/Jonathan, if this is a game engine related question, its better to ask here in the game forums, since Wes/Jonathan dont really specialize in the blender game engine, most of their blender tutorials are for rendering or cycles and most of their game tutorials are in unity. And im sure they wouldnt appreaciate being overloaded with requests for something game engine related that can probably anwsered very easily here.

Dear Thelaurent,

No worries on the UV front,

If i was to make a hotel loads of rooms but to animate it as a walk through the hotel i was told that if i created it as a game map, it would render faster, but problem i have is how i go about making this building into a game map environment, like call duty take out the players there is a map environment they run about in, that is what i need to know how to do…

i was told that game makers use Cards to place the textures on this too needs more explaining as never used the game environment but now want to understand how its put together

I don’t want to do this in Unity just Blender please

So basically your wondering how to model a map?

1. first of all you need to sketch up what you want the map to look like from a top down view
  2. load it into blender, make sure your in game engine mode and under the render settings select GLSL and you can turn the fps up to 60 if you want to.
  3. start modelling the major parts in your game, including the walls, floor ceiling etc. and any other big parts of the map/hotel that you want the user to see, you’ll have to texture them as you go along, Make sure your in textured shading in the viewport so you can see what your doing in realtime.
    4.once you have the main structure setup you can start adding props to the scene such as plants tables chairs doors windows etc.
    (be careful not to make them too high res as this will cause the game to lag)
  4. once you’ve textured everything (using a combination of normal, specular and diffuse maps makes better looking textures) you can setup a quick fps setup using cubes and a mouselook script. You may also need to bake ao textures.
  5. add your lighting, this may need to be a combination of lights as it is inside a hotel.
  6. (optional) add 2d filters (scripts) to add glow, blur or other features. In the game engine you can’t use compositing nodes so you pretty much have to deal with raw footage.

Disclaimer: Don’t expect the game engine to have graphics like cycles, it doesn’t. You can make things look good but with a lot of hardwork usually setting up at least 3-4 textures per material (diffuse, bump/normal, ao, specular - you may not need specular depending on object)

everything is real time, meaning it is rendering every millisecond after you press “p”, this means you need to keep your models low resolution and let the textures do the work. There is no problem with using the “smooth” shading one too many times within the blender game engine!
high poly models = high lag, low framerate

if you want refraction (glass) or reflection (mirror) materials then you have to use scripts.
also think about instead of modelling a plant fully, using planes with a leaf texture + alpha on it and modelling the stem from a cube with smooth shading applied and a plant texture. (you may want to check out the tutorials on my channel)

there is no particle systems

game developers use graphics cards (inside the computer) to process their textures, most computers have them but the quality of the graphics card effects the amount of lag your getting. for example if you were to play a game on your computer (eg. battlefield 4)on ultra with a low end graphics card like gt210 from nvidia you would get a lot of lag compared to dual gtx780’s or gtx titans(the top of the line).
the same goes for the blender game engine, except you don’t need crazy hardware as long as your keeping your scene low poly and small.

hope this helps, rendering animations and images works best in BI and cycles. If you want to interact with a environment BGE is for you. Make sure you have lots of spare time though as building maps, takes a long time especially if your new to bge.

check out some realtime bge demo’s and tutorials before making up your mind!

Good luck

Thatimst3r

If I understand you right, do you think that if the scene was a “game map” it would render faster? Rendertime depends more on lighting. Call of duty most likely bakes lights for real time usage. If you’re going to do that then it would take about double the time for baking textures + setting up textures + rendering. Just render it normally.

And also, what do you mean by “cards” ? you mean billboards over the objects? why the heck would you use that when you have UV mapping option? Just search for tutorials on UV mapping.

Edit:
@Thatimster, I think that he wants to make a rendered animation not a game.

Thatimst3r

perfect
you nailed what I’m looking for
is there any videos on this the basics please

I was talking with Wes on the subject and he spoke of Cards that’s where I got lost
so Wes’ if you see this sorry to ask could you elaborate on this please

Jackii
yes your right on the textures I have in mind
i understand the render times
I model my floor plans on a xenon workstation with quad 5000 cards x2
i built a 12 bay i5 8gig with 650ti boost mother boards
sat in my chimney sucking the hot air out the top
with cold air blown from the underside

i am very eager to learn this making high res interactive walkthroughs as not many do this in the construction industry
i want to say for example
pick up a glass vase photo realistic glass and the refraction works like it was real life (this will consume lots of time I guess ) but would like to get a few rooms done by the end of next year
this will be carefully planed out

kind regards

Delazouch