How to model a curve?

Ok, I admit that this is quite a simple question. But I can’t really figure out how to solve such a problem:(
I have to model a curved sword, but i don’t really know how to. This is the shape: http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg826/scaled.php?server=826&filename=immaginecsp.png&res=landing

I tried to use the spin tool, but I only managed to design a 90° curve (or a similar one). Maybe I used wrong settings… I don’t really know. Would you mind giving me some advice? :frowning:

To me this looks like a circular sector, a bit over 90 degrees, that’s then stretched horizontally. So add a filled circle mesh, then go into edit mode and delete faces until you have the sector you want. Then select everything and scale it along only one axis. You can then add a Solidify modifier to give your blade thickness. Applying this modifier will let you further edit it. Try subdividing each edge that crosses the narrow face of the blade, which will get you a centreline, that you can then scale outwards to get a sharp blade.

Attached is my effort.

Attachments

Thank you very much!! I have been able to create the basic mesh, but i can’t follow these steps: “Try subdividing each edge that crosses the narrow face of the blade, which will get you a centreline, that you can then scale outwards to get a sharp blade.”

Can you explain me better what you mean? :slight_smile: Thank you again!

Once you’ve applied the Solidify modifier, in edit mode you’ll see something like the attachment, a narrow blade with a blunt edge. The edges shown as selected should be subdivided (press W and then left-click Subdivide), which will then give you new edges in the middle of the blunt edge. Provided the “pivot point” (shown circled in red) is set correctly (in this case to the 3D cursor, which is at the centre of the object), you can then select those edges and by scaling move them outwards to give your blade a knife-edge.

Attachments