How to model a Ghillie suit?

How to model a Ghillie suit ? Any ideas ?

Model the clothing without any of the “stuff” and then use a particle/hair system to add the strips of cloth that make up the bits?

I can’t help much beyond that as it’s not something I’ve ever tried.

1 Like

tried.Didn’t work

All you have to do is model some fabric strips and use them instead of hair particles

1 Like

Did you add texture???

I UV unwrapped the single strip of cloth. Then I made the particle system into actual geometry and unwrapped the whole lot so that the wouldn’t all be identical. This might not be necessary if you create enough base cloth strips - like make 5 or 6 different ones.

The actual texture was just one of the camo fabrics that comes with Substance Painter.

I still didnt understand.How did you convert mesh to particle ?

I still need help . Please

I barely know anything about particle and hair systems, so take what I say with a pinch of salt.

1. Create a number of fabric strips of various sizes and shapes.
  2. Group these (in 2.79) or add them to a collection (in 2.80)
  3. Add a particle system to your main object. Set it to Hair instead of Emitter.
  4. Choose to render as Group or Collection and point it at your group or collection of strips
  5. Play around with the settings to vary the scale and density
  6. Hope someone that knows what they are talking about comes along and explains things better than me :stuck_out_tongue:

After they look dense and long enough you can switch to Particle Edit mode to comb them into position and stuff.

1 Like

İ will try.

What do you mean with grouping them ? Joinin with CTRL+J or adding them in one vertex group ?

Ctrl+G - adding to group in 2.79 or new collection in 2.8. You can then tell the particle system to sample from this group of objects.

Looks like nearly done. but i have one more ask :confused: Can i apply it to areas which i want ? There is an area takes like 200-300 cloth parts and that area is dead area.

I’m not 100% sure how to go about it but as far as I know there is also an option in the particle system to have its density controlled by weight painting. Also in Particle Edit mode there are options to cut/trim hair particles away were you don;t want them and also to manually paint in areas new or additional hair growth areas.

okay.I think it will complete.Last ask please :slight_smile: Can i syncronize that with gravity ? When my character start to move , is that hair will be shaked ?

There’s a whole section in the particle system regarding dynamics. I have no clue about it at all though. Maybe someone else might have some tips.

Thanks to all your help . Now i have a bit more information about modelling.

1 Like

oh no i still need help :(((( it looks like thorns . how i can pull them down ?

Can you share a screenshot? Comb them down in Particle Edit mode?

1 Like