How to model a screw ?

Hi guys,

How would you model a screw like the one attached ? Where would you start ?

thanks,

Hans

Attachments

hansvaneven,

Are you going to create an image that is extremely close to the screw? If not, consider bump (normal) mapping. Even if you are going to have an extreme close up, I would still try normal mapping first to see if it will give you the results that you want.

See the following for more info on normal mapping:

http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/PartIV/Bump_and_Normal_Maps

Thanks OBI ron,

I was going to use normal mapping first, but thought it would be a good exercise to model a screw on my own … I’ll try the bump map to see how that works.

thanks,

Hans

• In topview create a cube
  • While in editmode with all vertices selected press W->Subdivide Multi->2
  • Press Ctrl-Shft-S, 1, enter to make it spherical
  • In topview select the cross of 5 faces in the middle
  • Press E->Extrude Region and extrude inward
  • Then add a subsurf modifier to it

That’s the basic idea. You need to model and scale it a little more
to make it look better, but that’s up to you

Thanks Softwork, I’m going to try that this evening, seems like a nice tip.

best wishes,

Hans

Exellent tipSoftwork, this seems to work, the only issue I have with the square to sphere, is that it isn’t a perfect circle, but this way it’s easy to make a screw.

thanks again,

Hans

for me …i model shapes like a screw by rawing the outlines , spindup , and sharpness tool…start with a plane , delet a vertes, and draw the outline, duplicate it four times and rotate it …makes faces.use shift+E for the sharp edges and it will work just fine.

the only issue I have with the square to sphere, is that it isn’t a perfect circle

Just create a circle (with 12 vertices) as a reference and snap the vertices of the screw to it.

Hi Trapesourus,

I’m not sure if I understand what you suggest. You mean start a plane delete one vertex from the plane but how to draw them (I suggest to 1/4th of the srew, and then duplicate/rotate it four times to complete ?). But how about the circle ?

thanks,

Hans

Thanks Softwork for the extra tip, I forgot about that …

best,

Hans

I finally choose the workaround from SoftWork to make my screws. here’s the result of the screwhead (I just needed that part of it) and the .blend file for those interested. :slight_smile:

http://hve.free.fr/screws_hansvaneven.blend

Thanks again everyone !

best,

Hans

Attachments