How to modify an objects local coordinate system?

Hi all,

I’m a new blender user and I have a question regarding an objects local coordinate system: I merged 2 objects, i.e. their meshes, using CTRL+J. I didn’t consider the order of selection at the time, so now my merged object has a local coordinate system orientation which is not really aligned the way I want it to be.

I figured out a workaround to get the local coordinate system orientation to be what I want it to be: Add a new mesh as a dummy, set the orientation I want on the dummy, then join it with my actual working mesh (selecting the dummy last), such that the joined mesh gets the dummy orientation, and finally delete every vertex of the dummy mesh from the joined mesh.

Well, that works, but it seems kind of awkward, as I’m sure some will agree. So, my question is: Is there a way to modify an objects local coordinate system orientation without going through the hassles described above?:slight_smile:

Thanks in advance for your help!

Matthias

You can recenter the pivot or just change coordinates orientation with ALT+Space.

Hope that’s what you were looking for…

Thanks for the advice, but that just toggles the coordinate system I’m using (i.e. global, local, normal or view). Basically, I want to orientate the local coordinate system without orientating the object itself. It’s similar to recentering the objects origin (from the editing mesh panel), but with respect to orientation instead of location.

If I’m not mistaken CTRL+A (might be SHIFT+A) will apply rotation and scale to the object and realign the local coordinate system. Can’t try it out so this is just a guess.