How to move pivot or origin in object mode?

Pls see the image, It should be simple :

In object mode, i want to move the pivot (transform handle) to the other end of the curve. I’m thinking this should be done by simply drag the axis (transform handle) and snap it to the other end. Seems that’s no way i can drag only the origin/pivot.

The only thing i can do is to go to edit mode, select the target vertex, move 3 cursor to jump to that point. go back to object mode and then move to origin to the 3d cursor. Seriously, how can i do it in a simple way ?Image%20142

Currently, you are correct, there is no way to do this easily in object mode.

2.8 does have enhanced cursor snapping, so you can snap the cursor without entering edit mode, which is definitely an improvement. Alas though, it still isn’t as straightforward as directly moving the origin.

there is an addon to do that

what addon do you use ? i use mesh snap addon and is not working for a curve in this case. only for geometry.

You can move the origin (pivot) in object mode easily. There is a shortcut for it: Ctrl+alt+shift+c
You can then move it wherever you want (e.q. to 3d cursor)

can’t be used in this case. no vertex snap .

I dont see why would you need a vertex snap. You said you need to move the pivot to the other end of the curve, right?
I would go to the edit mode, select the end point where you want the pivot (even curves have start/end points), “Shift+S->Cursor to Selected” to move the 3d cursour, go back to object mode and Ctrl+Alt+Shift+C to move the pivot to 30 cursor.
Wouldnt that work?

Yes it works , but that’s not the answer. If you read my post , i already did that. The question is that it’s too many steps just to do simple thing. In other app (i use houdini). i just simply press any shortcut and move the axis straight away. If you see the video, that 's how it suppose to be , dealing with 3d cursor is too slow. you have to go to edit mode and go back to object mode.

Almost all 3d apps allow us to move the origin freely but blender. This has been requested many times but still no answer unfortunately.

This might have been because of a hidden bottleneck in the code. For example, weren’t we forced to turn snapping on for all editors at once because of the old dependency graph? The same was the case with the lack of multi-object editing.

If this is the case, then the developers should be able to make changing the origin easier in 2.8. I remember when I first started using blender, I used to always just move my entire mesh around the origin to get it to where I wanted.

1 Like