How to Move Vertices In Between Others

Hey,
I was wondering if it’s possible to have the movement of a connected vertex affect the position of another vertex. I’ll explain with a picture.

So when I moved that outer vertex, my desired result would be one where the center vertex moves with the edge as if it’s part of a single edge between both outer vertices.

Just like that.
I hope I was able to make that clear. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

It sounds like you want proportional editing ( toggle with O key )
(edit) oh wait, I get what you are asking…let me think about it.

proportional, linear option.

I think the idea is to keep the vertex at the base motionless. I think the way would be to give each vertex a hook, and give the middle one a copy location constraint for both of the outer hooks.

Oh, I see, animation. Posting in the modeling forum threw me off.

Nope, not animation. I was just thinking in a modelling sense that the aforementioned middle vertex would just act as if it were part of “one” edge between the two outer ones. The problem with proportional editing is that the vertex doesn’t move exactly as if it were part of the “one” edge (well it does if the radius is exactly the right size, but that’s nearly impossible to get right). I could try the hook solution, but that really wouldn’t be efficient at all in a modelling situation, especially if I’m just making small adjustments.

Well, delete the middle vertice and grab outer, after subdivide edge.
In your case to grab up Shear is one way to do it.

A. Change pivot point to “active element.” Select all three vertices that are to be collinear (select the stationary point last, which makes it the active element). Use R to rotate and the points stay in a line. Finally use S to scale the line out to the desired location if necessary.

B. Move just the final vertex into desired location (perhaps locking motion in the z direction). Select only the two endpoints of the line segment (not the middle vertex). “Snap cursor to selected,” then select middle vertex, then “snap selected to cursor.”

select the middle vertex, hit X choose dissolve vertex. move the outer vertex to where you want. Select both vertices and hit W choose subdivide.

select the left vertex, shift+s, cursor to selected, make the 3 cursor the pivot point, select all the parts of your line, hit r, then the desired axis youd move on, and it should move it as a single stick, just rescale it afterwards ive you need to mantain the same vertical position.

this seemed to work well for me, just you cant snap it back to scale up

Thanks guys, all of these work. Unfortunately, they weren’t what I was looking for. Me, being a lazy bum, was hoping there would be some convenient “single-edge” tool hidden in one of Blender’s menu mazes. I guess I have to work…phooey.

I’d say - LoopTools - Gstretch. Ctrl-d draw straight grease line between 2 points, click, done.

I am astounded by this…

Grubenfleugel?
[Edit: You’re good, I just thought I was missing something because the word doesn’t exist.]

I just made it up. I hope it doesn’t actually mean something bad…

Use the endpoints for a custom orientation, snap 3d cursor to selected(endpoints), use cursor as pivot point, then s, shift-z,z,0.

Multiple snap targets

Vertex snapping, grab the misaligned vertex, point to snap target, A key to add targets, point to next one.

@ Eppo! Gstretch has been updated to have even better functionality than that - select your connected points, hit Gstretch, they are all straightened into a line IF THERE IS NO GREASE PENCIL STROKE, otherwise of course the old behavior of snapping to the stroke still happens.

So that’s what Gstretch does. I swear I learn more from threads like these than any tutorial. Thanks everyone!

Wow, Gstretch… I had no knowledge of this wonderful tool until now. Can’t wait to learn more! Thanks everybody for the input, it helped a lot!