How to pack?

Hi,

is there any way to do packing in Blender?
I mean how to simulate packing objects inside other objects?

So lets say I have a carton box and I want to put spheres, cones and cubes of different sizes inside.
Small ones will get placed inside a gap of bigger parts and so on.
Best would be if this could also work with softbodies, so if I press the objects into this carton box they should deform following the pressure they got.

Hope it is clear what I mean.

There is an open source project called autopack (www.autopack.org), something like this would be great, but the last update on their announcement forum is from 19. Dec. 2012 and it seems very complicated to use.

Is this possible using Blender? How?

So lets say I have a carton box and I want to put spheres, cones and cubes of different sizes inside.

Rigid body physics though you’re relying on how the objects ‘naturally’ fall rather then a specific pack alorith

Is this possible using Blender? How?
If you write the correct python script you’ll be able to match exactly the same as your link

Hi Richard,

thanks but rigid body is not really what I am looking for. Sorry if it was not really clear.
I more need a packing function if the objects are already inside the box and get pressure from outside.
I am more interested in soft bodies and how they deform inside the box if some pressure comes from outside.
Something like packing a suitcase with clothes and then sitting on it to close it - hope you know what I mean :wink:

Thanks!

I don’t think there is anything available directly simulating this automatically. I’m sure it can be done though, but it would require some direct manipulation of the vertices. There are modifiers that can help with this, example the lattice modifier. You can also directly sculpt(or model) the verts into position, and apply that as a shape key, which you can then control during the animation.