How to paint on a repeating texture

hi , I’m pretty new to blender so I apologize if this question is obvious.
i modeled of a cloth piece and i added an image texture over it using texture coordinate and a mapping node, and because the texture seemed large i turned the scale in the mapping node to 2 , but now i want to paint something over the image and what ever i paint is repeated 4 times over my object. is there any way to fix this inside blender? thanks.

Paint on top of a new image that you then blend with nodes as desired.

Perhaps there was some problem when creating the initial quad. As for example if you take the primitive quad and duplicate it 4 times (then merging overlapping vertices) it will result to duplicating coordinates. You can use a primitive grid (Add Mesh > Grid) so having UVs generated properly.

Now if you are interested to save this mesh instead of making it again.
You would do again a brand new UV unwrap. And fix UVs to square dimensions.

Looks like you are doing CG Boost’s tutorial of the apple, so in Video 10 on transparent images…
First reset you texture mapping back to 1,1,1
Take the cloth and back in the UV map…select all of the uv and then SCALE UP outside of the image texture till you get the size of texture you want…Use LookDev mode to watch how it looks.

Section 10 Video at 3.00

Now as far as your original question…if you rescale your mapping then you will always increase how many repetitions the texture adds…in this case 2 by X and 2 by Y… and of course the original is the same so painting will duplicate from the mapping 2X2…so if you want to paint you need to increase the texture size 2x2… and then set mapping to 1,1,1 in effect scaling down the size of the texture with original UV…you will need to do this in an external Krita for example…and create a new file to twice the size of the original texture and then paste one copy in the upper Left place one in upper right Mirrored ( match tiling) one loer right Mirrored from upper and one lower left mirrored from lower right…sounds more complicated than it actually is…only problem is if it uses other maps like normal maps…can be done, just have to make sure the edges on everything match.

Actually there is a way in Blender (didn’t make it to the kitchen before I thought of it…)…If you took each quadrant of the cloth, separated it by selection and assigned a new material, do a quick UV map of each quadrant … then you could do the texture on each section, thereby reducing the size 2x2… then rejoin the parts.
Since it is a tileable texture you shouldn’t then have to do all the flipping and flopping the other way!

thank you guys, nice answers i got it now :smile: