How to "pause" parenting in animation?

I have been making excellent use of object parenting in my animation
which is the feature I require. I use the <ctrl> + <p> keys,
or <alt> - <p> to correct myself if needed.

-I’m in a situation where I need to secondarily “suspend” or pause
a child object for keyframing, then “resume” that following.
Apart from separate keyframing for the child in this temporary state
of affairs, is there a way of fixing some object in place, in a temporary
way that keyframes and relative axes will easily detect properly?

I’m hoping to save some computation for the child object at animation
render time.

?

You could look at using ‘Child of’ constraints instead of parenting
https://www.blender.org/manual/rigging/constraints/relationship/child_of.html

Yes indeed, and I have been. I’m animating with key frames in a subsequence
situation. I’m operating my rotations in quaternion mode.

-However I find that if I reduce influence to 0, or temporarily delete any target,
I loose the prior positioning that I have achieved so far. How may I disable
the child contraint temporarily, while maintaining a later keyframed position?

Hi,

see this : https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?353064-changing-parenting-of-animated-objects&p=2755412&highlight=child#post2755412

Setting or deleting a target for a constraint, or moving something in the outliner (parenting/unparenting) are not animatable operations : once they’re done they’re supposed to be set in stone. For dynamic stuff, use constraints and keying.

Hadriscus

I notice though that keying seems to require node editing.

Is there a way to achieve a similar end without leaving 3D view?

-My situation requires a series of key frame maneuvers that cumulatively need
to build up an end position, then get paused in place. If I turn off my childOf
constraints, it forgets everything done so far.

Is there a temporary “clamping” constraint that keeps things in place
for a keyframe transition pair, withstanding prior constraints and ignoring
a subsequent one? What is it named?

Whenever you put a constrain an item with a child of, that items local transforms stay the same regardless of where the parent moves. Therefore when you take it off, it jumps back to the starting location, rotation, scale. There is a series of steps you need to take to get it to stay. Here is a reference for you. harkyman.com » Blog Archive » How to pick up and drop an object in Blender

-Issue being, this approach requires the Node editor. Is there some kind of temporary constraint that I can use at a later, relative key frame timeline position?

-I also find that when using childOf, it introduces all these little micro changes to my objects
that I don’t want to happen, associated with the “set inverse” process.
How can I perfectly stop such changes from beginning to happen?

I think there is a terminology problem here, you keep mentioning node editor when I think what you are meaning is the f-curve/graph editor. The node editor is for compositing work & cycles materials, for the most part. The f-curve/graph editor is for working with animation curves, these curves control how your animation works, basically. For any keyframe made, there is an animation curve for it.

The harkyman.com link posted above is about the clearest explanation that I’ve read of how to do this sort of thing, and it doesn’t mention anything about f-curve/graph editor work. Once you get the hang of it, it really is very easy.

One shouldn’t fear working in the f-curve/graph editor. If you are going to be working in animation, you will need to be working in this editor.

-I also find that when using childOf, it introduces all these little micro changes to my objects
that I don’t want to happen, associated with the “set inverse” process.
How can I perfectly stop such changes from beginning to happen?

I’ve never noticed a problem of the childof constraint affecting the object it’s constraining. Could you please upload a file showing the problem?

Randy

[No Post.]

-I think that I need to set all my centre of gravity point changes on my objects before constraining them.

I’ve been getting all these tiny changes around the edges of a group of triangles that need to be perfectly
adjacent. Is there anyone who knows more about what I describe?