How to press particles to each other like a cloth/soft body sim in Geometry Nodes?

This image just an example of the effect and it’s the thumbnail of this tut (not related to my question).

I wanna make a similar animation to this with geonodes. This is actually a tutorial about how to achieve this effect but it uses geometry proximity and some math and the problem is that this only works on spheres with uniform scale. I wanna use random scale. I assume the raycast node could solve this issue. I don’t know if I’m correct about this or not.

I found a tutorial which explains how to press particles against a surface and deform them using the raycast node, but:

Is it possible to press the spheres to each other using the raycast node?

I saw this comment under this video, and it seems like it’s can be done and it’s “pretty easy”, but I’m not experienced enough in geonodes to make this work.

Thanks in advance!

I might be wrong but there was a similar question with quite the same image some time before… :thinking: …of course i could not find it yet…

1 Like
2 Likes

I watched this video and they are doing it with cloth sim. And i want to create the effect with geometry nodes.

They used additionally also cloth sim… so you want to do this also with geometry nodes ?? Why ? …just for the sake of it or are you interested in some otherwise impossible further modification ?? Because for me this looks like youe initial image and aspired result ?

2 Likes

I wanna create an animation like this, but using random scale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtNuewlgDq0.

I wanna animate them and tweak the result in realtime. Which is not possible with cloth sim, it works only on static objects like in the video. If you know a workaround let me know.

Ahhh realtime also… yes this is a little tough…

…i wonder if the raycast trick could not be scaled acording to the different scales of the spheres… but haven’t looked too much into this yet…

1 Like