How to recreat Bulbasaurs pattern procedurally?

How would you guys recreate the dark green polygons on Bulbasaurs skin?

I could just try to vertex-paint them on, but it would probably look really bad and I’d much rather prefer the much smarter, procedural approach.
I already figured that a voronoi-texture could help me but the exact composition is currently beyond me.

Something like this?
Here you have the blend file with some values exposed in the left.

Cheers!

(2.81 or +) : Bulbasaur.blend (583.3 KB)

5 Likes

Not gonna lie, that’s really impressive! I would’ve never guessed to use the “Smooth F1” algorithm as an additional map :exploding_head:
Thanks a bunch!

1 Like

Is there an additional cost to using 4D over 2D or 3D, using the “seed” just as a coordinate offset instead? I have noticed that Smooth F1 tends to fail for large offsets (the smoothness breaks).

1 Like

Another quick question. Do you know a good way to control where the dots are going?
The pattern looks great on a sphere but on my model, well…

You could add a mapping node to offset the voronoi texture manually. Alternately/additionally you could make a vertex color layer that you then use to mask out the face and mouth.

2 Likes

I did try vertex painting in order to mask of certain parts, however it looked very clumsy.

Is there a best practice or trick to it that I don’t know about?

Well, if you want hand placed precision, uv mapped textures are kinda your option.
combining procedural and hand painted textures is a bit of a balancing act.

1 Like