How to reduce filesize

I model a small exterieur project with 7 lowpoly houses and some lowpoly plants. Filesize was 40Mb, but reducing verteces goes to 30Mb.

Blender status: Ve: 310363 | Fa: 259238 | Ob: 42

I need this for walktrough but exe file is same size, so I have to wait for 10min to start on my 1.5GHz Celeron, 512Mb RAM laptop.

What could be a problem? Could I use extruded curves in GE?

I’m not real experienced with blender files - largest I’ve gotten is 600k, with a compiled .exe version hitting 3.2 meg…but a thought would be maybe the filesize of your textures?

When I added 2 textures and code my .blend file went from 287k to 600k, since code wouldn’t be much space I attribute that .blend size change to the textures.

Well, 259,000 faces for 7 houses doesn’t sound very low poly to me. There are two ways to reduce file size, reduce textures and reduce vertices/faces. Are you tiling the textures? That can help a lot. You must be doing the inside decorations for the houses. One way to decrease load time is to do the interiors in another scene, and enter it when the player touches a door or something. You can even further do this for each room, or upstairs/downstairs.

I agree with fireside. 259,000 faces may be low-poly by animation standards (I wouldn’t know), but it is so far from low-poly by game standards that it’s almost crazy. Remeber, the game engine calculates faces in triangles, not quadrilaterals, so if any of your faces are quads in your models, they count as two tris in the game engine. You could have anywhere up to almost 520,000 tris in that file! The general consensus around here seems to be that 25,000 to 40,000 is about the max number of faces you can use (per scene) running Blender’s default renderer (ketsji). Depending on your graphics card, you may be able to run the file with snailrose’s OGRE implementation (alpah release). That should increase frame rate, but I doubt it will help with load time. (Run a search on the Game Engine board for “OGRE” to find it.)

I’m not exactly sure how the program will run, but fireside is right about separate scenes as well. Will the user begin exploring from outside and select the house model to enter? Then use fireside’s suggestion of loading the insides as the user enters/approaches. If all seven houses do not need to be displayed at once, then you can put each house in a separate scene and allow the user to select each one individually via a menu.

Hope that helps.

Blendenzo would it be better to make models as tri’s vs quads for the BGE?

A quad is rendered as 2 tris by the graphics card, so I just convert my models to tris anyway. But I don’t know if this reduces or increases filesize.

Have you tried compress the blender file? File -> Compress File, then save again.

Well if that is the case and the graphics card will render a quad as two tris, it my not be a big deal…but then again if it would be a good habit to build my models as tris hmmm.

Now that makes me wonder, cause when I see a human model they are done mostly as quads.:rolleyes:

Well if that is the case and the graphics card will render a quad as two tris, it my not be a big deal…but then again if it would be a good habit to build my models as tris hmmm.

Quads are really nice to work with compared to tri’s. I’ve never seen a speed test but I would guess it’s very small or non-existent since OpenGl is set up to render quads and that’s what the engine was written in. You can always convert to tri’s when the model is finished. Usually you do that because other game engines only work with tri’s. I don’t do it because I might have to edit and it’s a lot easier for me to edit quads.

Thats good that OpenGl is setup for quads.

You can always convert to tri’s when the model is finished. Usually you do that because other game engines only work with tri’s. I don’t do it because I might have to edit and it’s a lot easier for me to edit quads.

How do you convert to tri’s:rolleyes:

disable the collosion for all faces , the 10 minutes will be somthing like 2

i dont know to much about the BGE yet but i was thinking ,isnt the two main choices for exsporting it to a stand alone format is ethier
-saving the run time
-using a exporter that plays a external .blend file and using that protect .blend file technique

so the run time is a excutable which is hudge compared to the .blend file but because the exporter is just a file that takes the info from the .blend but doesnt actually hold the info, shouldnt running it externally have a smaller file size bundled between the .blend and player compared to the excutable alone? or is there more downsides to running the .blend externaly? i would imagine it being slower but i dont have to much exsperience with the BGE

geomis: No. The two options are really the exact same thing, just different packages. When you make a runtime, you are simply rolling the BlenderPlayer.exe and your .blend together into one file. The other options (using the BlenderStarter or writing your own command line file) keep the BlenderPlayer and the .blend file separate so that you can maintain full copyright (since runtimes created with “Make Runtime” inherit the GPL). If you’d like to know more about it all, I’ve written an article on the subject.

ahh ,i see. told ya i didnt know much , oh well tried, failed but atleast came out with more knowledge than i had to begin with,thanks.