How to rig cartoon eyes

Hey, that looks nice !
Anyway, even if the rig is working, it’s not how you suppose to rig in blender.
You could have replaced bones with empty that would make no difference, where in blender you should add one armature object and add several bones to it, and setup constraints in “pose mode” rather than “object mode”.

If you start doing some skinning you’ll see that it will require one armature modifier per deforming bones , and probably you’ll run into issues as well.
If you try to use this kind of rig in a regular production where the character is linked in several shots you’ll also encounter issues or at least it won’t be as simple as it should be.

You can look here to see how this is supposed to work : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0btZFIeGtY

The tutorial serie is nice and the character looks fun and nicely done, the rigging logic is good (constraints parenting) , but you are dis-informing people on how blender is supposed to work.

thanks for the feedback.
I made this course for people who are complete beginners and that is why I did part one like this.
In the course however I explain that we need to do this all in a armature and show them how to do this with the body. and then we go over weightpainting.

But I totally see your point and I might redo this part of the course to not make them confused.

Cool !
what about rigging with empties then and explain that you will use armature later ?
Another approach could be to explain the armature object principle right from the start and do things the regular way after that.

Sorry if I seemed a bit upset, it’s because it’s a typical issue I find in many beginner’s rig .
Sometime you’ll have an armature with a few bones and many single bone armatures next to it, which make even less sense to me, and generally leading to a broken rig when people try to make their own rig with more complex mechanism and start animating it or use it in a production environment …

Also people coming from other software where bones are objects like empties tend to do the same thing in blender at first even if they know how to rig in general .

Just my 2 cents anyway, the overall tutorial series look interesting and fun to watch.