How to set modified rig to default ? (so it remains unchanged when alt-r, alt-g)

Hi today I am posting this post to ask you guys
how to set modified rig to default.

I’ve made a character and rigged it
and after a while while rigging, I noticed that my character was a bit weird.
The shoulder position was a bit… just a bit low. I’ve tried to pull the shoulder a bit up
by selecting the shoulder bone in pose mode and then, g,z and a bit up and it looked perfect !

and here comes the problem … Now I will start making pose of this character
and maybe from time to time I may want to use ALT G (Reset position) and this would cancel
my adjusted shoulder position, and it shouldn’t happen :((

of course, it would be the best idea to modify the original mesh, I also want to do it
but the thing is that… my character is wearing the clothes which are different meshes and …
you know it is not impossible but there are lot of works to do if I choose the way to remodify
the original mesh manually …

so if possible, I want to evade to touch the original meshes, if there is a way to
set the modified bone position to default I want to use that method…

one short, unclever idea passing to my head is to
duplicate the armature modifier and apply the original modifier to change the
original mesh to my desired modified mesh (so it keeps the same form even, without the armature modifier)

Is this a good way to go ? or is there any better method to set the modified bone position to default ?
Thanks in advance !!

1 Like

Helllo, in pose mode select the bones and then press ctrl+A apply selected as rest pose and done…

2 Likes

Thanks for helping me and sharing your idea ! I’ve of course tried the Ctrl+A to the shoulder bone, but even when I do it (ctral+a and apply one of the menus) when I press alt G, the shoulder bone goes down with the mesh T_T

hmmm weird, does your bone have a bone constraint perhaps?

1 Like

I’ve just checked and sadly my armature bones aren’t having any constraints :((
=update=
ctrl + a, apply pose as rest pose results the shoulder bone to stay to my desired position but the mesh goes down (is reseted)

ctrl + a, apply visual transform topose results the shoulder bone and mesh to stay to my desired position but goes back to its original position when pressed alt+g
(so … seems like nothing has changed T_T)

can i see a screenshot of your N panel where the loc/rot/scale values are?

1 Like

sure ! this is the n panel when I have applied nothing yet (so no ctrl + a)
and when I “apply pose at rest pose” it changes all transform to 0,0,0
but the problem is that, the bone is staying to its position but the mesh goes back to its original position

ok i thought you had keyframed it accidentally…

yeah it should work as expected if you selected the bones and click in apply selected as rest pose, but what do you mean that the mesh goes down?

ahha sorry for my poor explanation … (English is not my primary language)
so, I changed the bone position to my desired position
and the mesh followed the bone

and I wanted to make this modified bone + mesh position to default
so it does not cancel and goes back to its original position even when I do alt + g or alt + r

and when I do ctrl + a apply pose at rest pose, the bone is staying to my desired position
and strangely, the mesh, the shoulder itself, goes back to it’s original position
which, normally should stay with the bone xD

ahha … I start seeing whats going on …
so your method was in fact right
which, aim to place the bone to my desired position as default (in regard of the mesh)

and to keep the mesh modified I may need to apply the armature BEFORE
doing your method

1.I apply the armature modifier to my body and clothes to change the mesh position permanentely
2.I add armature again to my body and clothes
3.I do your method to set my modified rest pose to default
Babam !

(What I’ve written here is just the theory and I havent tried it yet but I think it should work)

and again thats the weird thing lmao

oh yeah of course you have to duplicate the armature modifier and apply one and done lol…

1 Like

Thanks I haven’t tried it yet but I think it will certainly work !
Thank you very much your help my issue is solved now !

1 Like

hehe you are welcome, such a newbie mistake anyways it happens a lot lol :joy::sweat_smile:

1 Like