How to set preferences to take advantage of hardware

Hi,

I’m completely new here. I have a Gigabyte Aero with a RTX 3070 TI graphics card. It’s a 12th gen Intel Core i7. 16GB RAM. 16GB vRAM.

I want to dedicate it to doing graphics work and I’m trying to learn Blender and I’m wondering how to set up the preferences to take full advantage of the hardware I’ve got.

Can anyone give me any advice?

Thanks

Welcome :tada:
actually that does change from time to time… there was something about small tiles for cyles and now big…

Maybe this is the reason whe the old docu page docs.blender manual/en 2.79 render optimizations performance isn’t anymore… but there is for example docs.blender 3.3 render cycles render_settings performance for cyles… so maybe have a look here:

It’s also depending on your graca and the technology using it… and then also some people use a setting which does work better on their workflow but not on other…

https://cgcookie.com/posts/10-preference-tips-to-improve-your-blender-experience

and try some on yourself… if you really have to speed up what you already have… :wink:

2 Likes

As you’re new, I’d leave everything at default, until you learn more about the specifics of 3D CG. The only thing you have to do is enable your gpu (leave cpu unchecked) with OptiX under Preferences > System > Cycles Render Devices

Once you start getting the hang of making things in Blender, you can learn more about optimizing Blender and render settings.

Good luck with the donut!

1 Like

Ok, thanks for the reply. I’ve checked the GPU and unchecked the CPU as you advise. I’ve bypassed the doughnut in my learning curve, maybe I should go back and complete that one…