How to start freelancing? Need advice

Well, I think I’m ready for freelance. But there’s so many sites about it, which one is
the best for newbie? Also, how to find first jobs, I mean I have no rating.
And what’s the main advices you can give to newbie?

maybe don’t start with those freelance sites but try to find local businesses that need 3d-visualizations?

1 Like

I’m not sure if this is helpful, but Freelancing doesn’t just mean getting hired to visualize someone’s product or service. One way forward is to create a work of art. It could be animation, or a graphic novel, or a multimedia package. The only thing you need is a vision, Today it is easier to reach a wide audience with inexpensive marketing. That is also freelancing.

1 Like

My advice is that you provide way more info. You didn’t provide enough info to even be considered vague. You provided nothing other than the fact you want to freelance, and you are a newbie. What is your background? Did you just get a degree, or are you self-taught? What are your strengths? What types of industries do you want to work in? What country are you in?..

1 Like

Don’t skip the management stuff, even though it’s boring. Track all movement of money in and out. Find out what taxes you need to pay attention to, especially if clients are in different countries. Keep personal and business money and assets separate, and incorporate if possible (this will help protect your personal assets if things don’t work out).

1 Like

I personally tried many ways and in my experience micro jobs websites gave me good results. Freelance websites like fiverr, upwork or meshaffair are places were a good artist can make money. You need to grow your reputation and at the beginning start underpricing, but you will see that hard work will pay back.

Here’s another friendly suggestion: check out the various books that “Herman Holtz” (nee: “Hermann Holz”) wrote about “consulting contracts.”

Having now been in the (not necessarily “CG” …) consulting business for … a very long time … I simply want to emphasize that you really must understand “how the game is played” from both sides: buyer and seller. You need to know in advance where the problems might surface, and why.

Herr Hol[t]z was very, very good at talking about things like that.

In particular, he introduced me to a “task-order system,” and the concept of an umbrella “General Services Agreement (GSA)” contract under which they were executed. Which has served me very, very well. Also the equally-important idea of a change order.”

Several clients told me that they decided to do business with me because “I appeared to have my ducks in a row.” Well, "thank you, Herr."

One more thing: “select and make friends with a lawyer – otherwise known as a ‘counselor’ – who has experience working with entrepreneurs like yourself.” (In the USA, “SCORE” might lead you directly to them.) Yes, you really do need one … as a “counselor” … and the professional fees are tax-deductible.

You must start first with the mindset of “learning” rather than considering making money. This immediately translates to offering your work almost for free.

However you will have to eventually within a few months and lots of jobs made be able to transition into a reasonable pricing. Provided that you are more experienced into handling the requests and faster to implement them.

However the most difficult part is to get through the “learning” phase. If for example you get too emotional, or feel cheated, or demotivated. It would not work. Having business mindset it means that you eventually face ups and downs, or increase risk of not getting jobs, etc.

Your best bet in the end, even if it does not work, would be to eventually have a fat portfolio of work samples. Imagine on the contrary having nothing to show at all, far better to have at least 50 items.