How to switch cyclic actions in an animation?

I made one action of a walk/pushing cycle, and I want it to repeat indefinitely. I went to the dope sheet editor and made another action for climbing, and I want that to repeat indefinitely. However, in a bigger overall animation, I want to use both different animations at different times, like transitioning from a walking cycle to a climbing cycle. How can I do that? How can I just turn different actions off and one while making them cyclic?

Sounds like a job for the NLA Editor. (NLA = Non-Linear Animation)

If only NLA actually did anything.

??? :rolleyes: NLA actually does a great deal if you know how to use it. Of course that involves buckling down and learning something but maybe that’s too much work?

I literally only had two animations and it only registered one of them, it’s useless.

If you say so, though it’s only useless for you. That’s a clue, BTW. Good luck finding another method.

No I garuntee there’s other people with this problem, a simple google search should show it’s not the flawless godsend software from heaven you think it is.

Show me where I wrote " flawless godsend software from heaven," please. I suggested it as a solution, you dismissed it out of hand, and most likely without much investigation. So be it. I sure ain’t twisting any arms.

Yes, NLA editor seems to be the tool for the job.

If it’s only useless for me then you’re saying it’s never useless for anyone else, which, if true, there shouldn’t be a single complaint in the entire world except mine. Since such a scenario is impossible, it could only be of supernatural origin - if you were even remotely right. It’s dismissed because it can’t even do something as simple as recognize the name of an action, it’s useless.

Mein Gott, the disjointed ramblings of those inhabiting an ego-centric Universe can be so amusing!

It it’s especially interesting when trolls with too much time on their hands try to derail a thread you started after contributing absolutely nothing to it. You literally only stated that the NLA editor exists, even though if I’m working with animations I obviously would already know that, yet you expect that statement to magically solve everything and then you have to audacity to speak about ego. You have no idea what you’re talking about, please stop wasting everyone’s time.

It it’s especially interesting when trolls with too much time on their hands try to derail a thread you started after contributing absolutely nothing to it. You literally only stated that the NLA editor exists, even though if I’m working with animations I obviously would already know that, yet you expect that statement to magically solve everything and then you have to audacity to speak about ego. You have no idea what you’re talking about, please stop wasting everyone’s time.

EDIT: How is there not even a simple delete feature on this website? Even the most basic php forum template would have that.

I contributed a suggestion that the NLA Editor is the tool to do what you briefly described. It’s perfect for producing long cyclic sequences, and has tools to blend from one strip to another, as well as switching the strips off & on. As to solving anything, you have not stated anything but the briefest general description of your problem, so I suggested a general solution, based on having used the “useless” NLA editor for exactly that kind of solution. But you were dismissive from the get-go. Like I say, best of luck finding another solution, I could suggest another but you’d likely just dis that as well.

You contributed nothing. Even someone who tries blender for the first time would see the NLA editor exists, I can see why you have such a problem with ego.

If by that you mean an extremely specific scenario which I walked through step by step that someone with actual animation experience would be able to help with then I’d agree.

Which is like saying the solution to world hunger is food. You’re an egocentric maniac who doesn’t have the faintest regard for helping people otherwise you wouldn’t have trolled and would have said something that actually helped someone in some minute way shape or form, you’re only here to make yourself look good, your 4700 posts might as well be hot air.

Ibid, Post #11

The NLA is the proper solution to this problem, PixelLoveLLC. If you don’t know how to use it, there’s good coverage of it in the Blender Manual. Alternatively, you might consider asking specifically how one might achieve what you’re trying to do by using the NLA. chipmasque and others here in the support forums have been more than happy to give detailed answers to questions like that.

Your only other solution would be to copy the keyframes of your action into a new action and then duplicate them for as long as you want to loop. And even then, the NLA will get you there faster.

Just because you don’t like the solution that was presented to you is no excuse for casting insults at the person who gave you that solution.

Thus, more proof of my statement. Only an egocentric would lack the sophistication to demonstrate a better understanding with the pretense of any semblance of having such knowledge whilst simultaneously dissociating themselves from the embodiment of humanity in the delusion that they transcend it.

I have found that the NLA editor continuously is unable to accomplish what I am trying to do. Even when I do manage to get it to recognize multiple actions at once and move different strips, there isn’t a way to make modifications to the armature key-frames that doesn’t alter those actions.
For instance, I know I want a walk cycle, right? But, I need to animate “where” the character walks on a frame by frame basis so that I can determine how other objects should animate according to its location.
The place I want the character to “walk to” is controlled by the maser bone, the bone which, if moved, makes every bone in the armature move along with it. That specific master bone is un-animated in the actions. However, after creating strips in the NLA editor and using start-end frames to display when different actions are animated, I have found I still cannot change the location of the master bone in an improvisational way or on a frame by frame basis.
I know I want the character to walk, but I cannot determine in advance where I want them to walk exactly to, I need to be able to run a walk cycle while animating the global location of the character separately.

As a moderator, I’m compelled to remind you that personal insults are a violation of our forum rules, so please try to restrain yourself in that regard.

Now, as it pertains to your issue with the NLA, that can easily be solved by parenting your root bone (what you’re calling the master bone) to an object that’s outside of the armature (and the action that relates to the armature), such as an empty. There’s an old tutorial in the Blender Noob to Pro wiki that covers this facet of the NLA. It’s admittedly a bit out of date, but most of the basic principles in that tutorial should still work for you.