How To Texture Paint The Head and Body

I have already completed my characters textured paint mesh of the head. The problem is I don’t want to do the textured paint on the entire body and head as one object because when I have done that in the past it has lowered the quality/resolution of the face. How do I accomplish using textured paint on the body and the head? Or is this just an issue with my computer not having the best hardware graphics card etc?

See screenshot: https://paste.pics/8OKS8

I’m not sure if you use vertex groups to make it easier to select different parts of your body, but if you did, it’ll make it easy to do what I’m going to suggest next.

Select the head and press alt+D. This will duplicate the model in a way that it would be separate from the main body, but still sharing data with its source. Now you can select texture paint and paint the cloned head model, which will allow you to make changes to the head on the main body remotely without having to texture paint the entire body as one object.

So your saying taking the cloned head body and hide it. Than texture paint the original body area first. Than make the head visible again and merge both of them. Do you have a file for me to look at that you’ve done similar to this? Its hard to visualize how to do this…

Thanks,

Ok, check this video:

Go to Hack #06: Link meshes for better editing (15:30).

It will explain you about how one can separate what they want to edit and keep the changes on the original model. He is showing this trick to alter the shape and structure of the mesh. You can do this to texture paint a section of the body without effecting the other.

I’m assuming that is what you are seeking, considering you wrote: “The problem is I don’t want to do the textured paint on the entire body and head as one object because when I have done that in the past it has lowered the quality/resolution of the face.”

This is working but I wonder if you could help me with this question? How do I get the mesh for the head to have its own space in the UV area for textured paint? If you see the screenshot below you will notice the body has textured paint on it because I ran out of area in the uv image editor to put all of my mesh.

Thanks,

You can do two things… If you hide the rest of the body in the object interaction space (the left one on your screen), the UVs corresponding to them would also be hidden leaving you with just the Head UVs. Either that or you can island select (L key press) them on the UV editor and move them away from the head UV regions.

For more help on UV, check this video out:

The first option doesn’t work. When I go into textured paint mode after hiding the body the body reappears