How to unwrap a teacup

Hi,

I have been trying to do a simple teacup. The last time I unwrapped it I got no real seams, but the unwrap is distorted, what should I do differently? There is only one seam at the top lip. Here is a screenshot showing what I am talking about.

I would remove the seam you have and move it to where the handle joins. Then split off the Handle by seams top and bottomand perhaps a seam along the sides to make two islands…Cup one around top, one around inside ring, and one around outside ring with another down the back top to bottom…

and a quick un-UV to show where I might put them…and use a simple Un-Wrap

That is more or less the way I had it, but this was working better with the texture, all I have to unwrap is the inside. Here’s a screenshot of the texture applied, which works well because I don’t want a seam between the bottom of the inside and the rest of the inside. The texture is an attempt at a hand painted texture to mimic the following teacup. I hope I am understanding your post.

EDIT: I painted the texture in GIMP according to the exported unwrap.

teacup-screenshot-8_ba-upload

If you don’t want any seams on the inside…I can understand that…but that limits what you can do as unwrapping a spherical object always uses automatic seams…But you can separate the interior from the rest ( have to apply solidify modifier) and then from top view select unwrap from view…Note it will add distortion to the texture…
Here are a few of the ways to unwrap…and as far as the seams…you can drop into Paint Mode and use the texture you created…and blend out the seam…by painting same areas of the texture over each side of the seam and make it blend together…

Simple unwrap with one seam not to center…

Or a simple unwrap no seams…

OK, thanks to your last image I discovered that if I use angle based for the unwrap it makes a nice circle.

Thanks.

I think I’m gonna start a new thread but do you have and suggestions how to mimic that texture?

That is really going to need to be in Cycles…and add some of that as a displacement driven by a noise…
As far as the actual texture on the displacement, you could start with something like this with a separate XYZ off of the normals controlling the bands of grunge by duplicating the nodes as many times as needed…and perhaps using some of the texture areas as single textures you made up in Gimp or grab some grunge textures as an alpha mask…

But yeah…I would ask again in a new thread referring back to this thread…
Some of the Node wizards will have better ideas!

Ok, thanks, gonna process that reply.

EDIT: yes its cycles.

1 Like