How to unwrap large mesh?

Hi, lets have a large house wall for example, unwrap it over 4K seamless texture, to keep enough detail the UV layout will extend an image boundary. See the simplified example below.

What to do in the case when I need the UV layout to be constrained to image bounds? What is the correct workflow, is there any automated way? Because manual mesh subdividing to match the bounds might be tricky and inaccurate for more complicated meshes (e.g. suzanne UV layout).

Why do you need UV constrained to image bounds? I can’t think of any situation where you would need that.

1 Like

tile black magic.blend (1.9 MB)

A blend for a question close to yours, but you can set the texture box to something say like box projection, and just set it so the image tiles over it several times. This does save you the problem of doing a uv unwrap (although you can still bake out the texture)

For exporting purpose (to third party formats), I need bulletproof solution at least for common fileformats. I asked this question couple days ago:
https://blenderartists.org/t/should-be-uv-inside-image-bounds-when-exporting/1188760
If you mind, you can post your opinion in that thread.

best regards, V.

thanks for reply, I am trying to achieve it in “non-blender way”, I want to export to third party formats, so I cannot use blender nodes, just the UV layout.

What platform are you targeting? And you can use a color coded map to filter out where tiled textures go (if said target platform supports that) But otherwise I would just say to import the texture as a plane, use that as your base scale and just extrude it by doubling this or that length and adjusting your uv’s as needed. It is an uglyish workflow but it can work most times.

What platform are you targeting?

I export mainly to *.fbx, *.obj, *.dae, *.dxf, *.stl and in near future I would like also to Unreal Engine.

Oh yeah, you can do texture tiles in UE4, in the starter content you can find some examples of how to do it in the stone walls materials. Just either do it as one material and uv scale that way, or use a color mask for masking.

1 Like