How to use Hugin?

Does anyone know how to use Hugin with autopano-sift? I am trying to make a really simple panoramic image, but Hugin refuses to stitch the images together! It is really frustrating! I’ve been playing with it for a few days now.

I took a series of 4 images with my digital camera. They overlapped like they were supposed to. Autopano-sift did its magic, but that is where things come to a grinding halt. I open up the preview window. Nothing. Press the update button. Still nothing. Optimize panoram. Still nothing in preview window. Try stitching image together. I get a black image. If anyone has any tutorials or manuals . . . or experience ( :wink: ) please help me.

I see a tutorial on the Hugin site for creating a panoram with autopano-sift. But the link is dead (404 error).

Never had such a problem, but I use A. Jenny’ Autopano…
If You have autopano downloaded, just open Hugins file/preferences and set autopano’s. You should be able then to call it from Hugin’s interface by pressing “feature matchin” button - it generates control pts automatically, inside Hugins GUI. I usually work this way rather than Autopano-sift and it works well. Then just - optimize desired parameters and apply…
et voila

BTW i think, that would be better to make first panorama by hand (without autopano’s help). Read all tuts at hugin site - every next pano will be easier.

This is powerfull soft.
I use it to stitch flat scanned pics… it’s great - see tut on hugins homeesite hugin.sf.net

Just found this post!

Give me an email / pm and I can walk you through setting up autopano-sift and hugin. One thing, what OS are you using? I’m only familiar with using hugin / autopano sift on linux.

Just found this post!

Give me an email / pm and I can walk you through setting up autopano-sift and hugin. One thing, what OS are you using? I’m only familiar with using hugin / autopano sift on linux.[/quote]

I figured out what I was doing wrong. . . . My optimization “coefficients” were way to high. . . so it was optimizing the panorama down to a single pixel! (basically)

Do you know how to set the horizontal and vertical guides? The sides of my panoramas are unnaturally slanted.

Thanks for the help. . … I use both windows and linux . . . but my main question/problem was for the windows version. Shouldn’t make much of a difference though. Thanks for the offer.

Jaycun, to straighten out the horizon of a panorama:

e.g. for a 5 picture panorama.

Picture 3 (middle picture), select image 3 in left and right image panels, add add 2 control points, one either side of the horizon, make these horizontal control points.

Do the same for picture 1, and picture 5.

I find this straightens out a horizon quite nicely. I havent found the need for vertical control points.

Do optimise for postions, view and barrel distortions.

Give us a shout if you need any more help.