How to use the Blender 2.25 game engine

Hi everyone,
I am working on a fantasy rpg, and I need a game engine, so when I found out about the Blender game engine, I was very interested. However, I can’t find any tutorials that would show me how to use it for a beginner. If you could post some links to tutorials that are for beginners on this subject, I would be very grateful. I also don’t really understand how to use a game engine in general, as this is my first game. I am using Blender 2.25 for character animation, and C++ is the main coding language, with Perl filling in some of the holes. Does the game engine interface with my code on compile time, or is a device I use to run my game after it is compiled? I haven’t decided as to whether I will be using Windows or Linux as the platform for the game. So far all the code has been written in Linux, but Blender is under Windows… Thanks

Welcome Neo88, concratulations, you found Blender. :smiley:

Well Blender 2.25 is a great game engine, it use Logic bricks (easiest way to make 3d games) You can use this unique engine for free, and 3d objects can be directly used in the engine without exporting. The logic bricks are just menu’s with options, you need to connect to each other to get a working game. You can also use Python scripting to make games more complex and make cullings, and another features to speed it up, or just make it cooler.

if you want to make an rpg game, you don’t need any c++, or any other code, just use the logic bricks. If you want to use a script, then you can use python scripting, it’s easy and very cool.
You can also export games in runtimes.exe’s that means, that you don’t need blender to run a game, and you can also use sort of c++ to make things as, menu’s or multiplayer.

If you used Linux, no problem, you can use the linux version of blender 2.25, and even publish on linux, runtime.exe’s for linux, mac os, windows, and more.

I’ll hope this is enough information, just use google for tutorials, and if you really don’t find any tutorials, ask me for some sources and tutorials I used to learn the engine.

Greetz jd-multi, 8)

Thanks a lot.
So I really don’t need any code for the game. Not even for AI, or window creation?!? That’s pretty amazing, but I want to code the game. Doesn’t an engine just help you with stuff like window creation and all that dirty stuff? I don’t think what I want is for the engine to do all the work, I love coding things ecspically AI code. Can the Blender engine be used in this way also? Thanks again :slight_smile:

Hey, blender doesn’t do all that for you :smiley:

It just helps in the displaying of everything because you don’t have to CODE the engine itself… but you have to code (or you could use logic bricks) the events and properties and etc, that make up your game. I don’t know if I made myself clear… :expressionless:

I found a pretty good list of tutorials on a broad range of topics at http://reblended.com/www/tutlinks/tlinks.php (if the link doesn’t work just copy and paste it into the url manually, its been giving me grief) You should also check out http://oldsite.blender3d.org/gameBlenderDoc/book1.html for the documentation. These are what got me started. You really shouldn’t have too much trouble firguring it out if you’re already pretty familiar with the rest of the software.

check out gameblender.org
still a fairly new site but there is new content almost every week.

Thanks guys! So I still can use my own code, that’s a huge relief! The gameblender.org site was very helpful, and google is my best friend, so hopefully it won’t be to long before I’m up and running. :smiley:

oh, one more thing, I know that the engine supports Python, but in my opionion, Pythin really sucks! So, I was wondering if the game engine supports Perl as a scripting langauge or if Perl is under development for game engine use? If it is I might use it. If not Blender is open source right? I could just write my own Perl port for Blender 2.25 :slight_smile:

Python is a good language (except maybe the whole indented block thing) but Blender has limited Python implementation, I’m sure it’s not written in Python after all.
Anyway I don’t recomend the game engine part of blender for anyone who knows enough to write and compile programs. Take a look at somthing like Crystal Space which includes scripts to import Blender stuff, I don’t know how well though.

one question: Does OpenGL act as a game engine? Because if it does, I might as well use it instead of Blender because I know a little bit more OpenGL than I do Blender ( I am a very new Bender user ) although I only know the bare basics of OpenGL, if it can be used as a game engine I’d rather use it for this game. I will use the Blender game engine in the future though, even if OpenGL can be used as a game engine.

What do you mean “used as a game engine?” A game engine is (or so I’ve heard) a collection of features, not always somthing spacific, so yes opengl could be called a game engine because it has features that games can use. However it is a huge step from making a game in blender which can be done in a half hour to developing a game engine that uses opengl. Hope I’m helping…

yes, but you see, this game is my life’s accoplishment so far ( or a least it will be when it is finished. So I want a very good engine, not one that will take me half an hour to create. The longer it takes me to make one, the better the engine will be, unless I can find a good one that is already funtional. Which is why I am looking at the Blender game engine. So is OpenGL better than Blender?

OpenGL is no game engine. OpenGL is a multiplatform graphics framework for 2d and 3d graphics. Blender uses OpenGL for everything: The Blender GUI is written using OpenGL and the game engine uses also OpenGL. But a game engine needs more unless it is a very special engine for a simple game.
The Blender game engine isn’t only a game engine - it’s a RAD tool for games and a running game engine application (for example the game player). It provides object management, collision, physics, object scripting, scene management, animation playback, sound and more. You don’t need to code as much as if you would use another engine. But it doesn’t give the flexibility that other game engines provide to you because it has a fix main loop and doesn’t allow you to access the rendering process directly unless you go into the engine code. There are also more restrictions to the engine.
But Blender has one advantage: It’s nice to create prototypes of games very fast. This allows you to try things out under a GUI instead of going through a coding, compiling (or running a script), testing process.
If you want some good free engines check those out:

http://nebula.sourceforge.net/ - my fave right now, but bad docs (or at least very unstructered)
http://crystal.sourceforge.net/ - very complex, not as well designed as nebula IMHO
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/ - looks good, seems to be nice - haven’t tested it yet
http://www.nevrax.org/ - another free commercial engine (like nebula) especially for MMORPGs

There are more. All this game engines are frameworks for a game application - you’ve got to code your mainloops, object management etc.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, that’s more like what I was thinking of, writing my own main loop. I had looked into nebula, but the docs are really bad like you said :frowning: crystal space looks ok, although now, it’s looking like I will write the demo for my game with the Blender game engine to test it the port it to something like nebula. Since I need the demo really soon, this is a good thing.

Wait until you see my eagle claw! :wink:

Hey, could I write my own OpenGL collsion detection code and put it in the Blender game engine? Even though Blender’s engine supports OpenGL, or would it not even be worth it?

in the blender source yeah sure… but you can also put it in blender game engine by using python and blender game engine api