How to utilize CG textures?

I am curious how the textures at the cg textures are used, or more specifically, the 3d scanned textures. I understand the color image and the height map, but how do I put all of the images together in one material? Usually I just plug a few of them into a principled shader and it looks nothing like the example shown on the website.

That’s what I do with photoscan and PBR textures - stick into the inputs of a Principled shader…

Colour multiplied* by AO for colour

Glossy into Spectacular

Reflection into matalic

Roughness into roughness … if you don’t have a roughness, then set roughness based on how rough you think the material is.

Normal into “normal map” into normal

Everything but colour has to be set to non-colour data.

hightmap goes into the material’s displace… except that I only use this if I’m going to use microdisplacement - and often I’m not, as it’s a pain to work with (i find) … also - if you’re using microdisplacement - don’t use a normal map as they don’t co-exist.

*use a mix RGB set to multiply - or pre-mix these in gimp/photoshop/whatever.

Reflection maps are not metallic/metalness maps. They control where reflections are present and where they are not, which is not used in pbr workflows, because every surface is treated as equally reflective - what affects the reflectivity is actually just the roughness.
Glossiness maps are normally inverted roughness maps. As far as I know you wouldn’t typically use those in the principled shader, but you can.
And I’m pretty certain microdisplacement and bump-/normal mapping can coexist. They are not mutually exclusive, so using a normalmap is recommended.

You can use the Poliigon material converter:
https://help.poliigon.com/tools-and-add-ons/poliigon-material-converter-addon-for-blender
Just rename the files to match the naming convention they use and it should bring it all in correctly.

Oh… so I guess I was using them wrong!

So REVISED correct way would be…

Colour multiplied* by AO for colour

Glossiness into invert into roughness

Roughness into roughness

Whenever I use microdisplacement and normal on the same material it ends up just coming out black… maybe there’s something else I’m doing wrong.

“Reflection maps are not metallic/metalness maps. They control where reflections are present and where they are not, which is not used in pbr workflows, because every surface is treated as equally reflective - what affects the reflectivity is actually just the roughness.” … hmmm but… with roughness right down on principled shader - if you have metalness=0 you get smooth plastic, if you have metalness=1 you get a mirror. That’s why I assumed that reflection could be plugged into metalness…

Okay, and why is there both a height and normal map? Usually I can’t figure out how to use both… And another question… I’m terrible at texturing, so I was wondering if there was an easy way to add imperfections to a texture, for instance metal. Nothing procedural though because I only want imperfections in certain spots… Gahhh! I’m just so bad at texturing, even after watching many videos and tutorials on the subject.

You don’t really need to use both… use a height map if you’re using micro-displacement, otherwise use a normal map.

As for imperfections… one method is to have two materials set up - one for the imperfections, one for non-imperfections, and mix between them … you can use a simple black and white texture to mix between them, or vertex colours, or geometry-pointiness…

one suggestion
would be nice if some one could make a sample file with some simple pack images low res to show all nodes set up for that !

happy bl

Hmm… Okay, I just need to figure out how to create texture brushes.