How to work on something that I don't like

I’m working (besides all my personal stuff) on a group project at the course that I’m following, but I don’t like the concepts, I don’t like the characters, I don’t like the environment, I don’t like pretty much anything. It’s all about a post apocalyptic setup with monsters, destruction, weapon, fights, stuff like that, and it’s totally opposite compared to what I like to do.

How can I find the motivation to invest my time on this project?

For now I’m just doing the minimum required to not damage or slow down the progression of the project, but I don’t have that spark that makes me wanna reach the best quality that I can delivery.

I know that it could be good exercise, because in the future it could happen that I will have to work on something that I don’t like, but I’ll get paid, an this fact changes everything (I worked 2 years as programmer on stuff that I didn’t like so much)

1 Like

If you don’t like it, then don’t do it. If it’s paid, then ask for more money until the many compensates the lack of fun or don’t do it. If it’s not paid, don’t do it.

You sound like you are in some situation that’s out of your control and that the solution is not simple. But it’s ultimately all your responsibility and I don’t think you will get any reasonable advice when asking about things only you yourself can do something about. It was your own decision to get into that work, and you can as easily get out, again, with your own decision. No one else is going to do that for you.

There are way, way harder things you will eventually have to deal with in your life, on your own, so if you can’t even sort something as simple as working on an unpaid project you don’t enjoy on your own, then better start to learn how to get your own life under control, or it’s going to be a miserable one :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There are tasteless people who would tell You to put Your pants in Your socks. Or wear underwear on top of Your pants and would tell You it’s cool. Or offer You to get fkd up on heroin without any signs of consistency, there are tonnes of other ways how people try morally degrade others even through getting them to work on shit as they can’t give a fk about Your dreams and projects simply cause they print money and they can do whatever the fk they want with it. And more they do it, more they probably think they are some kind of leaders and everyone else should just follow them and take them as their role models. You got Blender, and years of computing tricks accumulated in it’s logic editor.
I don’t think there’s anything better that artist could ever wish for in order to work on his thing.
Fly through all of the games that You have played, catch the ideas that You liked the most and work towards Your own thing. In fact if You haven’t finished some art school and don’t have any diploma or paper stating You have finished it, in some peoples opinion You shouldn’t even open Your mouth on art. Let them speak and show the world how great they are and stuff like that.

1 Like

Well, if you gave your word, take the responsibility.
What you like is really just a personal matter. Grow up, overcome, become better as a person.
It’s your choice to be either a part of a problem or a solution.
Never forget, no one likes dying…

1 Like

Getting paid isn’t always going to make things like this easier if you hate it your still going to hate it even if you are getting paid.
My advice is suck it up, find a way to get into the project, maybe you could try and put your own spin on it, suggest some changes etc. Or use it as a learning process, try and use tools in blender or workflows that you normally wouldn’t use. At least that way you will come out of it at the end with something.

2 Likes

Why would you suggest that to a guy unless you explicitly hate him? If he doesn’t get paid for the job and he doesn’t enjoy it at the same time, there’s no benefit, just loss of small time period in life spent in frustration? If there’s not at least monetary gain, then he can very well learn the same new tools or workflows working on a non-paid project he actually enjoys. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Because it sounds like he is doing it as part of a course, so if he wants to complete the course I would guess he has no choice.

1 Like

Learning new stuff is the main reason why I keep working on it, I never created something realistic, and this project will use a realistic graphic style, so I’m learning how to sculpt, baking the various map, use substance with realistic material etc

So why did you join it in the first place? There must have been a reason, right? Might that reason still exist? Would that not be enough? You always have the option to be less involved and less active in the project while still contributing to satisfy that need/reason you felt to join the project in the first place.

And if the issue is that the project has completely changed from what it promised to be when you joined it then it is entirely fair for you to leave it.

1 Like

Right, I have no much choice, I decided to follow this course and I want to finish it, but I was unlucky about the theme of the project, I’m not the only one who doesn’t like it anyway

Then just focus on the new stuff you are learning, thats really what you are there for.
I am guessing you are just starting out in 3D? If so knowledge is going to be far better for you in the long run than a few dollars.

1 Like

Well, if you are decided to finish it then you probably had your answer already before you were starting to write the post with your question. You will just have to suck it up and get through it as fast as you can. There’s no magic to suddenly make you enjoy something you don’t. Except perhaps Adderall :smiley:

1 Like

What’s to say? Professionals sometimes get stuck working on projects they don’t “like.” But, since they are professionals, they give it their best work anyway.

“If we all only did what we like to do, we’d never walk into a portable toilet.” In fact, there wouldn’t be one available to walk into, because who “likes” to pump out a dirty john?

1 Like

I don’t really know where exactly your problem is in this situation?
You’ll learn stuff which you don’t know. You are not going to this course to do this project, you are going there to learn how to do things.
You can separate the techniques you’ll learn from the content that it is used for, realism stays relevant no matter the content/context.
If you want to you can find your motivation by concentrating on doing things properly and delivering high quality assets, that is your area of influence and that is what you should concentrate on.
You are not the writer or designer, you just do your best in your role.
This too is an important lesson to learn.
Stepping out of your comfort zone and still being efficient is an important trait.
It has the nice side effect of an increasing comfort zone.

1 Like

I vaguely remember a maybe-apocryphal tale of an Oscar®-winning cinematographer who, while holding his precious statue in his hand, told the press:

“I hated the movie. I hated the script, I didn’t like the director, I didn’t like the costumes or the sets. But I shot it anyway.”

pro•fes•sion•al (n):

3 Likes

Hey hi. Disregarding all of the human and tastes factors, ask yourself whether you’d be putting them in a bad situation if you left. If you’ve taken responsibility to do this thing, then it’s probably not alright by them to leave now.

1 Like

Heh, of course as you know this is often what a job in the creative arts feels like. Sometimes getting your dream job doing something you love can end up killing your love for that thing. I think in some cases it’s better to have a career doing something you don’t mind doing, and save the things you love to do for yourself as a hobby, etc.

But anyhow, I would suggest thinking about how you can inject some of yourself into the project. Just because the other team members or someone else defined the concepts doesn’t mean you shouldn’t get to have some input (especially for a class project), and there are always unspecified details that you should get to design on your own. Put funny little hats on the monsters, hide humorous items in out of the way places, or whatever. Come up with ideas you like that you think you can slip in, and then help get the project to the point that you can do that.

1 Like

i think most people working in this field sometimes have to work on projects they can’t identify with. for me it helps a lot to concentrate on details and forget the big picture a bit.

1 Like

Yeah! You might not be capable of seeing the forest for the trees… But there’s gotta be a pretty rock down on the ground somewhere.

1 Like

Just take it serious whether it is small or big, paid or unpaid.

1 Like