How versioning my addons

I create this addon & lots of others for future, i have problem, i dont know how i can versioning the addon.

Example, first is 0 0 0 & after lots of news features, example 1 2 5.

What the solution for versioning a addon, :grinning:.

English is not my language, im french & i appreciate any help, thank you.

i think semantic versioning is simple and useful.

Given a version number MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH, increment the:

1. MAJOR version when you make incompatible [addon] changes,
2. MINOR version when you add functionality in a backwards-compatible manner, and
3. PATCH version when you make backwards-compatible bug fixes.

Additional labels for pre-release and build metadata are available as extensions to the MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH format.

Taken from semver.org. Also available in french: semver.org/lang/fr/

1 Like

I wish more addon developers follow that format but some don’t. So each time I download an update I put the date instead so I know which one is newer. Like SuperTurboMultiDraw_27_Feb_19.zip

(And I bought loads of addons on eh, Blender Market so instead of earning I helped those guys there to have their job. But I think I am going to support other markets as well. :rofl:).

But thats my personal solution when downloading.

1 Like

Thanks for answer & i hope it can help me, :grinning:

I think that keeping it simple and concise both for you and for your users is a good idea.

I used to just use regular numbers with fractions now I am leaning more towards actually adding the release date to the version, that way we all know when also the addon is released.

To me MyAddon_1.2_20190228 is a better release version than say MyAddon_1.003.76 The only issue with is that Blender bl_info does not like that so at least we can name the zip files with the dates.

3 numbers
1st major update - many new features and bug fixes
2nd minor update - few features and bug fixes
3rd tiny update - only for small critical bug fixes

my workflow is that all numbers should be sequential apart from the last one

the last is an equivalent of 2.79a , 2.79b etc.

I prefer to use the first one as 1 unit per year, second for around a 1 unity per month. But overall its not that important. My advice if you dont expect very frequent updates avoid the 3rd number unless you want to do this like Blender.

Ok is clear for me but need lot of reflection.