How was your modeling skill progress, is there a modeling skill curve?

I’ve been an 3d enthusiast since the late 90’s my first attempts of 3d were made in 3dstudio3 for ms2, but frankly i never quite try it, i bought books, an i read lots off tutorials but never actually modeled anything, a couple of figures, i think my problem was to try the hardest things up front and then i got frustrated.

So my cuestion is how was your modeling progress, what kind of thing model first to develop the skill? and then what? how common is to star whit faces and bodys? any tips? im familiar whit the basic tecniques extruding and subsurfing, or sculping and retopo but not the practice.

Well i am still learning but i think the most important thing i learned is topology.

I think one of the simplest tests of topology is to model a plate,coffee mug,fork,spoon and finally a knife.Each of them employs different topology flows which should give you the feel to model things further down the line.

Basically you just move on to more complex from there on out until you can model most shapes.

It’s good to learn the theory by reading tutorials, but it’s immensely better to follow those tutorials by working on them in Blender.
Because even if you’re beginner in modelling, practicing again and again, asking questions where you’re stuck, etc… will teach you a lot and progressively you’ll find yourself able to model anything.

I think a very good tutorial to start with is the part 1 of this :

It’s a really well done one, clearly explained and illustrated textual+screenshot tutorial that is very accessible to modelling beginners, so if you want to really practice modelling, going to read it -and- practicing it in Blender while reading is a very good idea.

I learned hard way, tried to model like animators want their models, that all parts have to be connected to somewhere, one mesh.
Now I know that it is only part of modeling, more important part for me is how it looks when you render/3d printable. So I model part by part, separately, way easier, more speed, happy feeling :slight_smile:
Nobody care how did you do it, all that matters is final product.
Topology is still important part, but modeling is way more than making loopcuts or merging vertices… you may model many hours because of “this needs one loopcut or maybe two…or what happend to those vertices if I move that face…or…” and one guy walk to your room and doing the same design in a matter of minutes with different parts. And you think “It cant be that easy, you cheated”, well …it is easy for you also.
And ofcourse your modeling needs, architecture modeling is much different than character modeling for animations.

My experience with Blender is there is a steep learning curve just to get the visual equivalent of “Hello World” out there.

I started my journey with Blender just this past July and as I am wont to do I jumped into the deep end and damn near drowned. I started off with trying to follow a tutorial from the middle (my experience is a lot of time is wasted by explaining things that you should know already such as where to download Blender from… (yeah… one tutorial goes into that) )

I quickly lost the author when many unexplained clicks later I couldn’t figure out what they were doing.

I hung in there none-the-less.

I discovered MakeHuman around the same time and soon I was pestering folks on this forum with questions about creating hair for my humans, because I couldn’t stand the poly hair that comes with MakeHuman. I discovered Cycles about the same time. Soon I had a disk full of modeling attempts such that one day I went through with a sword and killed off the worst of them.

Two months later and a lot of “wasted” models I am becoming pleased with my own progress. I still get frustrated at times with what I don’t know. ("Geez… <insert blender artist here> makes that look easy! “what’s my problem?”)

If Blender was paper and pencil there’d be a ton of crumpled papers on the floor of my office at home. Glad Blender is eco-friendly! :smiley:

My current wrestling is with scale and clipping depth (if that’s the right word for it) I was trying last night to put together a scene with a 15.5 meter by 28 meter cargo deck on a merchantman starship when the whole scene disappeared for reasons I don’t yet grok. I’m working at it…

I’ve been using blender for about a year now. It was the first 3D program I ever used. The way I learnt is by modeling simple things at first. The first thing I modeled was a robot made out of the primitive shapes…well it didn’t really look like a robot :smiley: (it was a sphere for the head, cylinder for the arms and legs, and a cube for the rest of the body) but that’s how I started. Then I moved on to other stuff like modeling a wine glass out of a cube and then applying subsurf to it to make it look like a wine glass:D. Then I tried to model a TV…Just the default cube with one face deleted :smiley:

Then I moved on to other complicated models like chairs and tables (not very realistic…just with the basic shape). Then after about 4 months I modeled a car out of reference images (well, not a complete car…some parts are missing like tires, headlights, windows, side-mirrors…). I felt really happy! It looked not bad (anyone could see it and know it was a car:D) but the topology was very terrible.

I learnt most things by reading/watching tutorials. But I don’t get too dependent on these tutorials. I sometimes try new things and I try to find better and quicker ways of doing things than the tutorial. After reading/watching a tutorial about something, I try to create something similar to it in my own way. If I just can’t do it or I’m stuck on something, I’ll just refer back to the tutorial.

The other way I improved my modeling skills is by modeling things around me. Things like, phones, computer mice…etc. They don’t have to be perfect but you’ll learn something new along the way.

Well, this is how I my modeling skills progressed. I still have a lot to learn. So, be patient and just have fun.

Hope this helps!
Good Luck!

Discounting new people who want to make games and animated videos, most first attempts seem to be 1) beautiful women, 2) swords, 3) cars, 4) spaceships.
Swords and spaceships are the easiest to get into, since they are mostly fantasy creations and there isn’t a ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ way to make them. Cars and beautiful women, on the other hand, take a lot of skill to do, and people have definate opinions on whether they are ‘right’ or ‘wrong’.

My best advice to newcomers is to park yourself on the Work In Progress forum, get comments, critiques and helpful hints from the good people here at BlenderArtists. Your basic decision is organic (trees, people) or hard surface (swords, cars, spaceships). Start a project, don’t wait until you have something you are proud of, just post your work and ask for advice. If you keep working at it, you will improve. Be aware, though, that sometimes the best advice you can get will be: “throw that one away and start over.”

My first 3D modeling experience was the tutorials which came with GMAX, which I discovered in 2006. I spent about a week on the tutorials which accompanied the package, and then abandoned the product when I found that it was no longer being actively supported.

I made the switch to blender at that time (perhaps version 2.46 or 7), and started by following the exercises in the WIKIbook, Blender 3D: Noob to Pro . I began by working through most of the tutorials in that volume–I made the dice, the gingerbread man, but in some cases substituted something I wanted to do that seemed of similar difficulty to what was in the volume.

There are now other assets available to help learn Blender, and they are helped by the fact that the interface is now orders of magnitude more organized than in the versions prior to 2.5. Most educational materials work from simpler to more complex concetps and practices, For example, I’m not aware of any mathematics curriculum that teaches the calculus before teaching basic arithmetic, and in literature, one typically learns short, common words, before learning long, unusual ones. The same principles should apply in 3D graphics, including Blender. I generally recommend one (or both) of two on-line courses: Chronister’s (name of instructor) at http://www.cdschools.org/Page/455[/URL}, and Hirsig’s at http://gryllus.net/Blender/3D.html, which are both organized along these principles. And yes, both courses include a bit of information on where to get, and how to install Blender at the beginning, because they are written to take to account that some of those making use of their resources may have absolutely no prior experience, and may need to know that information. However, in both cases, the information can be skipped by someone with some experience with little cost.

ns

3d modeling is very easy. I believe anyone can do it. It gets harder when you have to get something done under a deadline or under a given poly count like, for a game. After a few months you could have the necessary skills to model a car, but you won’t be able to do it in a timely fashion. I find experience in blender is a lot like building stuff in the real world. You start off with hand tools which are a pain in the ass but get the job done, but as you progress you learn that there is no need to hammer every nail. That’s why god made nail guns.

I’ve been using blender for 3-4years and i still can’t model a car or anything too complex,blueprints rarely match up so i usually throw in the towel once i find out something doesn’t fit right when everything else does.

I’ll be perfectly honest. I have been using blender for about the same amount of time DCBloodHound and I’ve never even attempted it. It is a long process and frankly I don’t have the patience for it. But in the past I was using an i5 to render through blender render and now I have sped up my renders by like 100x by upgrading to a gtx 650 and started using cycles. I am finding that things I would in the past have never even considered doing are actually possible to me now.

I still stand by my previous assertion that 3d modeling is relatively easy compared to the texture development and mapping side of a realistic render. Maybe it just seems easier to me. Geometry was always fun to me though.

The most important here is persistence. 3D is hard on the brain, it’s very abstract and difficult at first. You got to give your brain time to rewire.

And there are levels. Once you feel comfortable doing stuff to your mesh, move on to texturing and/or animation. But don’t expect fast results. Because of high expectations and slow progress, I’ve lost many years during which I could be training. Many people did, AFAIK. Many never returned.

You got to be persistent. Try to get hooked on it, try to get addicted to it, do 3d instead of gaming or watching TV (or food, as it often happens :P) if you can manage. make it replace some task.

It takes a backhoeloads of time initially to wrap your brain around the 3d space, and that’s not even the beginning of dealing with proportions and stuff. So the most important question I would ask myself in your position would be: Will I feel comfortable in 5, 10, 20 years from now, without the skill of 3d modelling?

If the answer is no, then there you have it: here’s a wall, here’s your head, here’s a bandana. Bruteforce it. There’s no other way to start. I’ve tried several times over the past decade, and now it bugs me I didn’t make it sooner!

And yeah, there is a curve, and I hope you like snowboarding, because with a bit of persistence, it slopes down VERY fast :slight_smile: