How would you go about doing this?

I am making a ma5d from halo and I am almost finished. However I can not figure out a logical way to make the final portion of the gun, so am looking for advice.

As you can see there is a big whole in my gun.

And this is what its supposed to look like.

And a wire frame view for a more clear look.

Thus far I have been largely making the model by extruding vertices and re positioning them individually, highly inefficient but I am fairly new to proper 3d modeling software (this is my 6th model on blender) and couldn’t come up with a better solution.

Anyways any suggestions on how to get the identical inset channels with 3 identical holes in each would be greatly appreciated.

Also so I dont have to make another forum, any critiques on the model would be appreciated. Its extremely low poly due to the fact that the software I am going to use it on only supports meshes of up to 5k triangles, this is actually 2 separate meshes to bypass that limitation.

Attachments

You can use a knife project on a cylinder to cut the holes exactly were you want them. I would bake these sections onto a cylinder for the final model.http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=104532

I was sure blender would have a feature like this, thanks for the feedback

I was sure blender would have a feature like this, thanks for the feedback

Very nice model,

another way would be to inset and extrude inwards, wouldn’t reccommend doing so because it’ll destroy your topology.