Howto Start for TV

(patricia3d) #1

I want to start small-small 5 minute stories in Blender for TV shows.
There are lot of fairy tales with NO copyright etc. Suppose If I make some small story say 5 mnutes and want to show to TV people, how to start. What I am thinking first make the story in 320x240 and put in the youtube. In the mean time re-render the story in 640x480 size for actual.
What should I do?

0 Likes

(vitaliy) #2

so let me understand this correctly, you want to start a tv series using blender?

if YES then, im sure the TV-broadcast native resolution is like 1440x900 (if not way more) not 640x480, and that “sample” episode that you are talking about is called a “pilot” episode which gives the tv people a chance to get a feel for what ever they are putting out.

0 Likes

(patricia3d) #3

Thanks Vitaliy
I was thinking that TV people want DVD i.e. 640x480
I baught a Sound mixing software i.e. Sony Vega Movie Studio which will mix Blender .mov

• wav and create AVI or .mov
    and that size 1440x900 is not in Blender. The Maximum is 1920x1080
    Should I make it User Defined size as 1440x900 ?
    won’t it talke too much time in rendering?
    Should I use Respower for rendering?
    Please guide?

Attachments

0 Likes

(Dan) #4

I would have thought that the PAL and NTSC buttons automatically set it to the correct aspect ratio and resolution for tv broadcast. For example, the resolution for broadcast quality standard PAL tv is 720x576.

Also 1440x900 is in the 16:10 aspect ratio format, which is exclusive to computer screens. 16:9 is the widescreen aspect ratio for television. Pal 16:9 still uses the 720x576 aspect ratio - it simply letterboxes the video so that there are black bars along the top and bottom of the tv screen. You only need to worry about resolutions higher than 720x576 when you are dealing with HD content.

0 Likes

(patricia3d) #5

One of my friend was tell that all the TV people like some thing ROUND like tape type of thing for 1st copy. They don’t accept DVD. I havn’t seen that thing.

0 Likes

(Dan) #6

They might want it on Betamax, or possibly vhs would be fine. They might even take digital 8 or hi-8 tapes. Better ask your friend the exact name of the media, or better yet, call your local tv station and ask them :wink:

0 Likes

(patricia3d) #7

I will do that and inform every one.

0 Likes

(knellotron) #8

oy! lots of wrong information in this thread!

• For North American / Japanese television use the NTSC preset in Blender
  • standard definition NTSC = 720x480 with a pixel aspect ratio of 10:11
  • There is not a widescreen NTSC preset in Blender, but too is 720x480, with a pixel aspect ratio of 40:33. It doesn’t letterbox it either; it’s anamorphic (streched) widescreen.
  • PAL is for Europe / Asia. You should use the Blender preset if that’s the case.
  • If you want HD, the resolutions are either 1920x1080, or 1280x720, pixel aspect ratio is 1:1. No broadcast standard is 1440x900.
  • Blender’s maximum resolution is not 1920x1080, that’s just the highest preset. You can set your renders up to 10000x10000, and you go higher with a few hacks.
  • Most broadcast stations will NOT accept hi-8 or digital 8, except for the rare situation where the news department accepts amateur submissions frequently.
  • Betamax is a completely extinct consumer format, Betacam is still common in television.
  • Digibeta / Betacam SP are nice formats, but you can’t afford them!
  • VHS is only acceptable as a last resort at TV stations.
  • the “some thing ROUND like tape type of thing” was probably XDCAM aka Professional Data Disc. It’s sort of a cross between Blu-Ray and a big minidisc. You can’t afford that, either!
  • If you already have the station interested in broadcasting it, and you need a cheap way to get them the video, I reccomend only a few options: burn a DVD, give them a digital file on a data CD or data DVD, or miniDV tape. If they’re only interested watching a pilot, then a DVD is the best choice.I work in broadcast, so if anyone has questions, you can buzz me on AIM as “knellotron.”
0 Likes

(patricia3d) #9

knellotron
Many Many Thanks for helping. You opened the Eyes toward the trouth. This will help lot of strugglers like me.

0 Likes