Huge speed boost to coming to Blender??

This is indirectly related to Blender, but a newly open-sourced GCC compatible compiler is getting serious speed gains across the board.

“The EKOPath compiler was nearly 40% faster than the GNU Compiler Collection for this ray-tracing benchmark.”- Phorinx

Some other benchmarks get even more gains. I just think a blip on BlenderArtists would be good to at least to put this on the radar for graphicall / blender coders. I believe Blender has a lot to gain from this (Linux side at least) :evilgrin:

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Phoronix/~3/ah7AQQxk0N8/vr.php

That means that you’ll be able to compile the ray-tracing benchmark 40% faster, not that the application will run 40% faster… right?

No I believe the compiler effects the performance of the program aswell.

If the claims of a 40% speed increase are true, then this is a great day to be a blender user.

Let’s not get too excited- New compilers can bring some improvements, and I’m sure that results could vary wildly, but a compiler switch is a huge change and can bring problems with it.

But because this is open source, there’s one way to find out. :evilgrin:

Edit: Okay, it’s difficult to find at the moment. Better wait until it’s easily accessible.

I’m not a coder or anything, but I dont think that wouldt matter for people making Graphicall builds. Only if the Blender foundation would make a complete switch.

So this is a compiler right? Which means that you could just take the blender code and run it in the compiler and it will automatically optimize it to run faster?

If so I’d say do it :smiley:

It should be just matter of changing compiler if its standard code.

I’m afraid it’s not that simple. There are a lot of very small differences between compilers, that could just cause a warning, or could break the code compiling altogether. With a huge codebase (A bit under 1,000,000 lines), it’s unlikely that Blender would compile without a lot of small changes. The build system would also need some changes too.

I believe changing the compiler would be a really pain for the devs, if they will have to go through all that code and fix little errors…
And, could this be a cause of the bug tracker skyrocketing?

Actually most programs compile with the same exact GCC compiler switches. Aka GCC runtime compatible. I think compiling Qt framework has a blocking bug, but most just compile normally. Will this make it into Official build, who knows. Honestly I’d be happy with a graphicall build. As for the speed improvements it all depends on the code. If there is alot of hand optimized inline assembler than no, because that pretty much takes the compilers ‘optimization logic’ out of the equation. However if this does turn up a faster Blender without touching much, its still pretty dang cool :smiley:

we already compile in msvc, gcc, llvm, the intel c compiler, and a few others so odds are there won’t be a lot of work to get it compiling in this compiler,

So, who will meet the challenge and volunteer to build Blender with Ekopath? :eyebrowlift:

I would try it, but I still haven’t managed to successfully build it even with gcc, and haven’t had the time to figure out why.

PASS. I still think it is wait and see at this point, I also, sorry to say, doubt blender would get anywhere near 40% speed increase(especially not across the board)…in anycase It is still interesting…and I am going to go check it out where is the link to the Developers site?

i am not sure that a compiler can be make more fastest a build, if this be rigth the builds of blender for windows compile with visual studio would be have diferent renders times that one build make with GCC, i think that the only way for this are a compiler optimized for a hardware plataform how the intel c++ compiler, and the most important is the OS layer, blender not work directly over the machine if not over the OS

Actually, Blender builds with Visual Studio or GCC, do produce different render times.
And some compilers are better when optimizing different type of workloads.

EkoPath is a compiler optimized for a given hardware platform: it is optimized for 64-bit Intel processors and multi-threaded workload (multi-cores), so it may well bring good improvements in Blender render times.

Yeah, and I’m pretty surprised at the lack of interest this news is generating. A 20-40% faster build of cycles would be a godsend right around now.

It´s nice that all are so enthusiastic, but before looking for devs to use it how about waiting until it is FOSS’d and available for download? :smiley:

then only can be wait for the first builds of blender make with this compiler and their render benchmarks in the intel x64 plataform (for me the better cpus for 3d in the last years)