Human font

Hi! i’m projecting to animate a font like as “Pixar Lamp”…

The problem is smoothing parts of the mesh that’s auto-subdivided with ALT+C from text.

i’ve already tried to:

• increase the subdivision with “subdivide” but i think that 16.000 vertex are too many to render…:eyebrowlift2:
  • use sub surf modifier and edge split but don’t solve the problem…

What do you think about knife? Is the only solution to re-make every single edge (and vertex) on these parts?

Thanks!

Not sure what you have going on there… How are you deforming or animating the mesh?

Was this created by converting a blender text object into a mesh object? If so, then that is your biggest problem. That object doesn’t have correct topology to be animated, meaning the way the vertices, edges, and faces make up that object, won’t work for animation.

The side of the mesh that you see as a ‘s’ shape should probably be 2 - 3 dozen faces, not the gazillion faces I see in your pics.

Looks like you’ll have to model a ‘s’ shape…

Randy

PS: are you just moving and rotating the selected faces with proportional editing in the 3d view? If so, that’s part of the problem as well. You can’t just move vertices and faces around and have their movement be recorded by blender. Well, you can somewhat, by something called a shape key, but that’s very limited.

16k verts shouldn’t be too much to animate by any means…

You could try a remesh modifier, it will at least give you more regular quads to work with. Your only other real option would be retopo by hand. Alternatively if you upload a .blend I could ZRemesh the letters for you, which should give nice results for animation.

Select a single face of the flat surface. Select menu -> Linked Flat Faces. x -> Dissolve Faces. Ctrl+t (triangulate faces.) This will give a tessellation of triangles on the flat surface with far fewer long and narrow triangles like those causing the problems you’ve circled.

This may not be the solution you wanted, (it won’t produce topology optimized for subdivision, for example,) but it should ameliorate the most obvious problem.

Yes! it seems better than before!

I 'll try to edit the position of the shape (turn left, turn right, jump…)

Thanks!

both

[QUOTE

PS: are you just moving and rotating the selected faces with proportional editing in the 3d view? If so, that’s part of the problem as well. You can’t just move vertices and faces around and have their movement be recorded by blender. Well, you can somewhat, by something called a shape key, but that’s very limited.[/QUOTE]

Yes, i would use Shape keys but i’ve not decided yet if help me with lattice or not.

Bye