Human Progress

Cheers, I’ll try the outlook one. As for the remnants, I found them here:

Ah there’s the one that got away. Thanks!

1 Like

Great, thanks for the screen shots and the answer about your approach. Is wonderful how far you can go with a well made topology.

Have you encounter any issues animating with the subdivision modifier activated?.., it looks very smooth and real time in your setup. Are you in Blender 2.79?.., have you try it in 2.80?.., i have read that others have issues with the speed in 2.80 regarding the SubD modifier in their rigs…

1 Like

oh chris, you could sell it as machine code on a roll of toilet paper…would still buy it! :grin:

Now, please forgive me for asking a total noob question:
Will it be possible to freely deform/adapt the face mesh (to a certain degree), to create a specific character, and still get the facial animations working properly?
Or will this be impossible / extremely complicated because of all the shape keys happening?

The reason it looks smooth is because I’m recording at a low framerate and speeding it back up. Bearing in mind that my PC is 11 years old and wasn’t even high spec in its day, I imagine it would run smoothly at a low subdivision level on a modern machine (don’t take my word for it though, I’m only assuming).

In 2.79, which I’m mostly using, I get about 6fps at 1 subdiv level, which is choppy but workable, and 35fps at level 0. Surprisingly in 2.8 it’s slightly faster at level 1 (~6.3fps) and slightly slower at level 0 (~30fps)

I’ll take that into consideration. :wink:

Indeed, that was the main focus of this demo:

Granted there are only a few expressions on display here, but I don’t see why it shouldn’t apply to the rest of the face rig as well once it’s all hooked up.

I should mention at this point that I’m thinking of separating the face rig from the body rig to keep the base version somewhat affordable - in fact I’ve devised a plan to separate lot of things out, so they can be “added on” as needed. I might have to get some consensus on that.

10 Likes

hey @ChrisJones, what do you do in your pastime?

Thanks Chris for the info.

great to know. thanks.

As in hobbies? I guess this is my hobby (or so I’ve been told).

1 Like

Attached the teeth to the gums, since they were separate objects and intersected poorly. Also improved the shape and topology and added UVs.

4 Likes

Thought I’d put it through a workflow test, so I sculpted some extra form and painted Bump/displacement map in Blender and Krita.

14 Likes

Colour map also painted in Blender/Krita.

Think that’ll do for now.

27 Likes

That looks so real. Also, teeth and gums on their own are kind of gross.

1 Like

Well, 'tis the season. :jack_o_lantern:

2 Likes

Teeth are looking great! Can I ask why you use Krita in addition to painting in Blender and how you use it? And also, is the subtle yellowing of the teeth nearer the gums just due to color map, or is there a SSS map as well in there?

I was very surprised by how many ridges and details there are in the teeth. On the grey material it looked to me like it was too severe, but in the final render with color and specularity it all comes together and looks awesome! Thanks for posting a fresh rendered image, I love looking at’em.

1 Like

how you did make this look son shiny what its the material node setup?

finally! ive been waiting! what does it look like in the head though?

whats the node setup for the teeth and gums?

Will this be for sale?